PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thinking about buying this GT?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Thinking about buying this GT?

Hey all, thinking about about this car on craigslist. Any help will be appreciated. Any tips or what to look for or what not. He says he has receipts totalling to about 1500 last year for water pump/timing belt job.

He will take $4,000 firm. Newer tires. Synthetic oil every 5k

2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo
Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Thinking about buying this GT?

If he's got the receipts to prove all the work done, specially the timing belt. I say go for it.

Looks nice and clean
Teekypt likes this.

Old 13 Oct 2014, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't believe those are the original GT wheels. They look like later model 16 inch PT wheels. It's not big deal. But you may be able to use that as a negotiating point.

Also, I recently bought a GT and there was some great advice given in my thread. You might want to read through it.

NEED ADVICE: Looking at a 2005 GT to Buy
Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I don't believe those are the original GT wheels. They look like later model 16 inch PT wheels. It's not big deal. But you may be able to use that as a negotiating point.

Also, I recently bought a GT and there was some great advice given in my thread. You might want to read through it.

NEED ADVICE: Looking at a 2005 GT to Buy
I did point that out while on the phone with him as I don't like those wheels and really like the gt wheels. He said the gt's were in bad condition. Not sure what he did with them but he said he no longer has them. The car would look way better with gt's in my opinion. I also wish the car was black or silver. I would be a for sure buyer. Not really a fan of the blue so not sure if im gonna go for it.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
I did point that out while on the phone with him as I don't like those wheels and really like the gt wheels. He said the gt's were in bad condition. Not sure what he did with them but he said he no longer has them. The car would look way better with gt's in my opinion. I also wish the car was black or silver. I would be a for sure buyer. Not really a fan of the blue so not sure if im gonna go for it.
In that case, I might want to consider passing on this GT. That price is pretty well market. And for that price, you will be happier getting something closer to what you want.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
I can understand silver - but he blue is nicer in person than in pics (in my opinion).
It appears to be loaded (sunroof, leather...).
Price wheels on TireRack -- and factor that in price...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
In that case, I might want to consider passing on this GT. That price is pretty well market. And for that price, you will be happier getting something closer to what you want.
Right, might as well get something I really like instead of buying just for thinking it might be a good deal. Thanks for helping
Old 13 Oct 2014, 11:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you change your mind what I would do is make sure engine is cold when I am going to see a PT Cruiser and start it up. Check for noises and then turn on air conditioning immediately. Do this at the very beginning when you get there. I would start looking to see if any wires under the dash or the hood has been tapered with. Check both upper and lower torque struts, you can check and see if they are cracked with a flashlight and small mirror. Check the coolant to see if its a muddy brown color. Take it for a test drive on the fwy after letting the engine warm up checking for loose front end parts and vibrations. Check to make sure coolant temperature is okay. Check for clicking sounds coming from CV joints when turning corners and if CV boots are torn. Plus all the normal things to check. Good Luck!
Old 14 Oct 2014, 12:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well im a blue guy so Id buy it in a heartbeat
harrym likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

"Turbo engine with the Mopar stage one kit, about 240 horsepower"

no comment!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN