PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Waterpump / Coolant / Heater Core Issue? No Heat...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2014, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Waterpump / Coolant / Heater Core Issue? No Heat...

I had no heat last winter and it was a really bad one! I went out yesterday to get my coolant system flushed because I was reading here on the forum about alot of heater cores being plugged. They flushed my system (2nd time since I have owned it) and then he was nice enough to flush the core directly. No pluggage. Then we ran the engine and he asked me to turn on the heat ....no heat!

SO...he then had me rev the engine and noticed no flow in the coolant and the lines to and from the heater core were cold. This led him to believe that the water pump may not be pumping. He figured that possibly the blades had corroded off! ............... Has anyone seen this before?

Now...I have been driving 1.5 hrs each way to work for the past 7yrs and accumulated over 320,000 miles in this car and I have had my share of coolant related issues. (radiators, fans, hoses, etc...) I also do not use and haven't used the HOAT antifreeze because I really didn't know it existed until I joined this forum.

I am having a hard time believing I am able to drive the car right now without coolant flow! Is this possible? This would mean my PT is basically aircooled!! I do have a radiator fan toggle switch in my car and flick it on when in traffic or in a drive-thru line and the car cools down.

I do see that the temperature sensor is below the radiator cap. Is it possible that my engine is running really hot, and I am just cooling the coolant in the radiator and surrounding area and not reading the true engine coolant temperature, if in fact there is no coolant flow?

I will replace the water pump when I do the timing belt again as funds become available.

Let me know what you guys think out there....
366,500 miles as of 7/26/17 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 2 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 1 alternator at 345,000) 3rd Watts Link
Old 17 Oct 2014, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Waterpump / Coolant / Heater Core Issue? No Heat...

You need to look at the diagram in a Factory Service Manual for coolant hose routing for your model PT and compare them with yours. You may need to disconnect some and test for flow volume.

Your water pump is working! If it were not your engine would over heat.

The heater core gets a constant supply of coolant. The interior temperature is control by air venting doors not by a fluid valve.

PERFROMANCE PARTS ENGINEER
"not a Professional Engineer"
Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Old 17 Oct 2014, 10:11 am
Senior Cruiser

you didn't mention replacing your thermostat. that's where I would start.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
you didn't mention replacing your thermostat. that's where I would start.
But he didn't mention having a engine heating problem and also said 'NO" heat?

A thermostat that is 180F or less would still produce at least thermal radiated heat from the water jackets at the cylinders and produce at least 90F-100F going into the heater core which would be very warm vent air output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino169 View Post
I had no heat last winter.............................................

I do have a radiator fan toggle switch in my car and flick it on when in traffic or in a drive-thru line and the car cools down.

Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

Old 17 Oct 2014, 11:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The heater core gets a constant supply of coolant. The interior temperature is control by air venting doors not by a fluid valve.

^^^This

Remove the center console & check the cables.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 17 Oct 2014, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
^^^This

Remove the center console & check the cables.

Here's what it looks like with the control cables/vacuum lines exposed.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 11:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
But he didn't mention having a engine heating problem and also said 'NO" heat?

A thermostat that is 180F or less would still produce at least thermal radiated heat from the water jackets at the cylinders and produce at least 90F-100F going into the heater core which would be very warm vent air output.
I didn't have an overheating problem either last year, yet I had NO heat. the dealer replaced the thermostat under warranty and viola, heat. which is why I brought it up.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
I didn't have an overheating problem either last year, yet I had NO heat. the dealer replaced the thermostat under warranty and viola, heat. which is why I brought it up.
Glad to hear your experience with a cold heater was resolved.

I believe what you had was very low ventilation heat as I described. I guarantee you hand some warm temperature coming out of the vents. Otherwise if your thermostat was stuck in closed position you might have also had a coolant heating problem. A partially opening thermostat valve will pass heated coolant flowing to the heater core.

Thermal hand held tools are a wonderful tool to have.

Old 17 Oct 2014, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies!!

I have replaced the thermostat in the past a few times but not in over a year so it is possible I have a bad one again. Are there different temperature ones available? Should I get the 180F one?

This may account for no hot coolant hoses going to the heater core during our test at the shop and possibly the system was still circulating through the engine.

I will also look behind the center console to verify that the connections are good there.

Is there a diagram/drawing or schematic out there showing the coolant system circuit?
366,500 miles as of 7/26/17 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 2 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 1 alternator at 345,000) 3rd Watts Link
Old 17 Oct 2014, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"The temp sensor below the radiator cap "- if you mean the one on the strut in front of the radiator, that doesn't read coolant temp, it reads the air temp...
Where is the needle on your temperature gauge???
If your water pump was not working, you would overheat very quickly.
Only way you could need a thermostat is if your temp gauge is on cold, meaning thermostat failed fully open (not likely).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles