Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
`04 Cruiser Blown head. need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default `04 Cruiser Blown head. need some help.

Salutations from Washington.

The images i will be providing may be shocking, and not for the weak Heart.

I am new to the forums, mainly just lurk around.

Bought my 2004 pt cruiser with 72k miles about a month ago, The car was said to have a overheating problem, the previous owner took it to a "backyard mechanic" and what he did was Mindblowing.

She paid to have the head replaced, new gasket , new radiator , timing belt / pulley's , and new water pump.

She gets the car back and it still overheats, so i pick it up for 300 dollars, and begin the search as to why its overheating, after a quick look at the Rusty antifreeze i start there, full flush new thermostat, Overheating is done, car runs smooth.

Then on my way to work 2 weeks later 65 on the freeway at 2am, The motor revs to 6k rpm, then just flatlines, Get it towed and insert heartbreak.

Mindblowing mechanic tom-foolery. - Imgur <--- Click me

As you can see from the pictures, All of this could have been prevented if the mechanic would have actually done what he was paid to do.She had paid 1200 for this job by the way.

So i start the teardown, i know it needs a head, so that was the plan, once i got the head off though, it needed pistons, so i ordered / gathered everything i would need to complete the job, got it all back together, timing took 2 tries, missed by 1 tooth!

Now the engine knocks pretty loud once warmed up, should i bother tearing it back down? i know what the noise is, been doing this a long time, its a rod bearing, but there is usually alot more than just bearings right?

Sorry for the long post, cant wait for a response or 2.

Last edited by jabili1979; 22 Oct 2014 at 04:21 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: `04 Cruiser Blown head. need some help.

you have a lot of time and money invested seems like a really good plan to go back in and fix it the right way if a rod lets go you already knwo what is going to ahppen to your new head and piston--I guess my questions wouldm be why did you not do this in the first place not being??? not being a jerk but if you replaced the pistons didnt you have the rods off the crank??? or am i out to lunch
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

one more question exactally what did the guy do for the $1200 it looks like a few valvues came apart and went through the piston but how or what was it he did????
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
one more question exactally what did the guy do for the $1200 it looks like a few valvues came apart and went through the piston but how or what was it he did????

He did 100% of nothing, he Jb welded the head and the radiator to just bandage the problem.

If you look in the pictures you will see the split in the head, he was supposed to replace the head, since he did not replace the head, and just jb welded it, the crack opened enough to send the valves into the piston at 2600 rpms

Last edited by jabili1979; 22 Oct 2014 at 04:12 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
you have a lot of time and money invested seems like a really good plan to go back in and fix it the right way if a rod lets go you already knwo what is going to ahppen to your new head and piston--I guess my questions wouldm be why did you not do this in the first place not being??? not being a jerk but if you replaced the pistons didnt you have the rods off the crank??? or am i out to lunch
I replaced the rod bearings and bolts, even the Plastigauge was within its limits.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabili1979 View Post
He did 100% of nothing, he Jb welded the head and the radiator to just bandage the problem.

If you look in the pictures you will see the split in the head, he was supposed to replace the head, since he did not replace the head, and just jb welded it, the crack opened enough to send the valves into the piston at 2600 rpms
got ya didnt see that really sucks there are guys like that out there
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabili1979 View Post
I replaced the rod bearings and bolts, even the Plastigauge was within its limits.
ok so what will be your new plan of attack?? I get into stuff liek this and its liek I did it right why is it not working??? do you think it will srtay togther if you just leave it alone???
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
ok so what will be your new plan of attack?? I get into stuff liek this and its liek I did it right why is it not working??? do you think it will srtay togther if you just leave it alone???
Cruserdad i begin the re-tear down of the bottom end tomorrow after work, we will see just what happened / is happening. worst case scenario i cut my losses get a graveyard motor, and rebuild that.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

opps my bad i did not knwo you could open up the pics i see it now he should be held accountable for this screw up
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
opps my bad i did not knwo you could open up the pics i see it now he should be held accountable for this screw up
i agree 100% But there is just one problem with "backyard shadetree mechanics" They are shady.. and disappear into the shadows.

the previous owner has searched, once he got paid he is no where to be found.