Advertisements
Overheating issue, please help!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating issue, please help!

Hello fellow Cruisers!
My Pt is giving me a headache again. I know that overheating is a very common issue with the PT-s, unfortunately.
My car overheats only on longer trips (30-40 min+), not on the highway, only when stopped at a traffic light, and it spits coolant through the radiator cap on the belts. Sometimes I hear a gurgling sound from under the hood, and no overheating (according to the gauge). When it starts overheating the coolant travels to the overflow bottle, but it never goes back in the radiator. I have to top up the coolant in the radiator every couple of days. (I am loosing coolant through the radiator cap) My heat also went away completely (it wasn't great, ever, but now I have none) I just had replaced the water pump, timing belt, all the mounts, thermostat and the radiator cap plus just did full tuneup. My water pump was leaking before, so I thought that would solve the problem, but it actually got worse. My mechanic thinks its the head gasket, or the head but there is no coolant in the oil, no white smoke, and he has not done compression checks. And I never actually let it overheat. The only thing I did not replace was the radiator. Anybody had similar issues? Thanks for all your ideas!

Last edited by yenciny; 22 Oct 2014 at 09:15 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issue, please help!

Open hood, start car with A/C on, and make sure engine fan comes on, if it doesn't, there's your problem.

I would think a head gasket problem would cause overheating sooner.

Replace the hose to the coolant bottle - it must have a leak if coolant doesn't return to radiator.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Forgot to put in my post. Fan works, I can hear it, it tries real hard and loud to cool the engine down...
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenciny View Post
The only thing I did not replace was the radiator. Anybody had similar issues?
Yenciny...
You did not say what year. I had this problem on a 2002. I removed and reversed pressure sprayed the fins. It cured the problem. Radiator fins were plugged with dirt,bugs...

Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your coolant system. If the water pump was just changed the coolant system might still have air in it. You will need to burp the coolant system. You will need to take the radiator cap off when its cold, run the engine to normal temperature, turn on your heater, check that the coolant is flowing, then check to see if heater is getting warm, fill it to the top of the radiator and then put the radiator cap back on. Fill up your coolant reserve to the required level. You may still need to bleed it but most of the time it will automatically bleed itself if there is no coolant leaks. Do not drive your Pt Cruiser until you have replaced your hose from the radiator cap to the coolant reserve tank. It needs to be fixed immediately as it will allow air to get into the coolant system also. If you don't confirm and replace as necessary the hose from the radiator cap to the coolant reserve tank is good you may need to do this all over again. Let us know if this helps.
yenciny likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Oct 2014 at 10:14 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's a 2006. Has 143k miles with original radiator. It looks a bit dirty to be honest, and some fins are bent as I see. So might as well just replace it. They are not that expensive.
Skyking did you have coolant spilling from the cap or from the overflow bottle as well?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The whole timing belt/water pump replacement was done in my trusted shop, they were pretty good fixing my cars so far. (even though I just tell them what to do, I do the diagnostics), but its worth a try -to bleed the system again.
Do you guys think this could be the head gasket, though?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenciny View Post
The whole timing belt/water pump replacement was done in my trusted shop, they were pretty good fixing my cars so far. (even though I just tell them what to do, I do the diagnostics), but its worth a try -to bleed the system again.
Do you guys think this could be the head gasket, though?
I would suggest taking care of any coolant leaks first. Replace the hose from the radiator cap to the coolant reserve tank. Burp your coolant system. Make sure you have coolant flow. If it still gets hot I would have a coolant pressure test done to make absolutely sure you have no coolant leaks anywhere else. What PSI radiator cap did you replace the original radiator cap with?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Oct 2014 at 10:25 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am not sure, my mechanic did it, but was doing it with the old one as well. I believe its an 18.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How long has it been since water pump was replaced?