• 3 Post By rhino169
  • 3 Post By jabili1979
  • 1 Post By PiperGeorge
  • 5 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2014, 04:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Hood Ground Wire?

On my 2001 PT there was a rotted black wire attached to the body and then the hood near the hood hinge on the passenger side of the car. I didn't know what it did, since it hadn't been attached in years and figured I'd replace it. Nothing exciting happened.

Any ideas as to the use of this wire other than maybe to ground the hood? I had thought maybe a magical hood lamp would come on and bathe the engine compartment with glorious light.......but I do not believe the Chrysler engineers thought we would ever need to be under the hood for anything!
380,584 miles as of 4/27/19 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 3 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000 the 3rd at 369,000 due to tensioner fail), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 1 alternator at 345,000) 34th Watts Link, Serpentine Tensioner at 369,700
Old 27 Oct 2014, 04:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Hood Ground Wire?

that wire acts as a discharge wire , for what? no clue. Lightening strikes maybe? lol
Old 27 Oct 2014, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You also have a small plunger that open and closes with the hood on your 01 on the drivers side that is attached to the alarm system (horn & lights flash) that I'm pretty sure not many other cruisers have. Chrysler did away with many small things around the PT as each year went by as a cost savings measure.

For more on ground wires around the PT, look here.......

ground wires from body to front struts?

Ground strap

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My 2010 has that wire too.
uncomn likes this.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 05:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

supposedly those are there to prevent the hinges from electrolysis and also help reduce electrical noise. for an urban legend of unknown truth i read a while back about it, read on.

Quote:
There was a lady who bought a buick lesabre brand new and her first drive to work the car died on the highway. The dealer towed it back and after inspecting found nothing wrong, the car started right up no problems to be found and gave it back. The next day same thing, died in the same spot. After a few more tows back to the dealer and always dieing in the same spot one of the techs rode with her to see if she was doing something wrong. Sure enough the engine stalled in the same spot. The tech looked around and found nothing wrong under the hood but then noticed the hood ground strap was not connected from the factory so while waiting for the tow he took care of it. The truck arrives and they go to load it on the rollback but it starts up. Baffled they do more test drives with no more problems. After writing a report for gm he got a phone call from gm's diagnostic center. They asked him if there were high tension power lines that crossed the highway where it died, and there was. The interference from the powerwires were amplified by the ungrounded hood and affected the crank position signal in the coil module.
supposedly since car manufacturers started adding that wire, UFO's no longer make car engines stall while flying overhead, such as would happen back in the 1950's

Last edited by rob342; 24 Nov 2014 at 05:12 pm.