PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turn over but won't start

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2014, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turn over but won't start

I have a 2006 Cruiser. The engine will turn over but will not start. It ran fine until I stopped to get gas and since then it has an started. I changed the cam sensor and I did the key dance. The only code showing up was the oil pressure sending unit, so I changed it and still nothing.

I am assuming it is the fuel pump because I dont hear a humming noise when I turn the key on, or it could not be getting power to it. My wife is good at driving the car on really low gas and I read that it's terrible on the pump if you do that. I opened the case and checked the timing belt and it is working fine, it was actually changed about 15,000 miles ago.

I have the tools to change the fuel pump but I know it's a pain and I don't want to spend all the money on it if it could be something simpler with power not getting to it.

Anyone have any ideas or input on what it could be or ways to check if its the pump or power? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Kyngdum; 27 Oct 2014 at 05:04 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turn over but won't start

Check for spark.
Or, get some starting fluid and spray in intake - if the engine "coughs", you've got spark.
If you have spark, then you check for fuel...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2014, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What's your mileage. Anywhere around 100,000? Could be the timing belt went south.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The mileage is around 127000 and we had the timing belt changed around 112000 miles. I checked it and it is working fine. I will pick up some starting spray and see if that does anything for it.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngdum View Post
I opened the case and checked the timing belt and it is working fine, it was actually changed about 15,000 miles ago.
Belt seems okay

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2014, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I forgot to mention that I also have a 2001 Cruiser and when I turn by key on I can hear the fuel pump hum. I have crawled under the 06 and when you turn the key the pump makes no noise at all.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 06:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Check the fuel pump relay before delving into the tank.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I read that the relay was inside the tank with the filter and pump. I have read a lot of conflicting tips that the TIMP controls the pump, but I'm not sure where to look.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 06:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Yikes seems the computer controls it..

So try this.

You can try a trick we use at the dealership that sounds crude, but usually works. Have someone try starting the car. While they are doing that, reach your arm under the gas tank and tap it will a rubber mallet. A lot of times, this will jar the pump enough to get it to kick on.

Otherwise, drop the tank just far enough to access the fuel pump module connector and check for power / ground.

Try the mallet first though... I've driven many cars into the shop using this method after the car was towed into the dealership.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tried hitting it and nothing. Im afraid I'm going to have to drop it. What about the automatic shutoff relay (ads) Could that have something to do with it?