Advertisements
Fuel gauge with light on

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2014, 11:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Fuel gauge with light on

First i had a problem when fuel gauge would go up and stay there until i park, let it sit for few minutes and then turn it back. It's been like this for 6 month, and it would happen once in two week. Overall I am driving just max 10 miles a day.
But for last few weeks car is driving crazy, with fuel gauge going up, it also would make a beep sound and then all lights will go up for a sec, my car driving at this moment, but I begin to happen more and more. I am afraid I would end up in some accident if engine shut down one day.
Also about a month ago when I looked under the hood the battery minus cable got very corrosion, I clean it up with baking soda/water. And today I checked it again and the same cable looks dark brown like rustic.
Do you think it all have to do with this cable, and if so, do i need to clean it or replace.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 02:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel gauge with light on

I am suggesting you might have two problems . First thing I would suggest is to take both cables off the battery and clean the contacts on both the battery cables and the battery posts. Also take the caps off the battery and see if the battery fluid level is low. You might find it low on the cells next to the positive post and next to the negative post. If you do just fill it back up with distilled water. After you have done this if the lights come back on take the PT Cruiser to Sears or someplace where they can do a battery load test. Not just check the voltage but check to make sure the battery can handle a load from running A/C, headlights, etc. When disconnecting the battery make sure you disconnect the negative side first and then the positive side. Then when connecting put on the negative side first and then the positive side.

On the second problem you might have a bad ground on the fuel gauge causing it to read FULL.
CREWZIN likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Nov 2014 at 02:33 am.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for advices. I will try it tomorrow.
I stopped at Autozone yesterday, they said the battery is good. And that this rustic cables I am afraid of look good too.
Also I had to drive today a lot around Houston, and none of this problem came up.
About bad ground...It begin to happen first long ago and just now it got worse, so my question if it is bad ground can it get badder, shouldn't I had the same problem everytime I drive, and not popping up whenever it wants???

One more thing I was trying to reset dashboard gauges by turning key on and holding trip button for 20 sec, but nothing came up and my trip button went down and got stacked over there lol

Now I am beginning to think, I was foolish when decided to restore my cruiser after car accident. Just finish to fix one thing when something else pop up.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 07:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

yes it gets badder
pull cables and ream them out and clean, and use a battery ternial brush tool and scrape the battery post clean, and see if that helps,
Old 10 Nov 2014, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luska View Post
One more thing I was trying to reset dashboard gauges by turning key on and holding trip button for 20 sec, but nothing came up and my trip button went down and got stacked over there lol
That doesn't reset the gauges, it tests the needles on each gauge and the numbers on the odometer.

Hold the trip button and turn the key to ON (without starting the engine). As soon as the numbers on the odometer start to count up (0000000, 11111111, 22222 etc.) leave go of the trip button. After all of the numbers go up to 9999999, the needles on each gauge one at a time go through a routine GAS 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 FULL, on to the next gauge.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you do the battery load test or just have the battery voltage checked with the engine running?