PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sylvania Silverstar Light Bulbs

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2014, 04:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Sylvania Silverstar Light Bulbs

Word to the wise! DO NOT PUT THESE BULBS IN YOUR TURN SIGNALS OR TAIL LIGHTS !!!!!!!!!!!! they WILL melt the inside of your lenses ...
someone in one of the posts the other day mentioned that so i went out to check my lenses and sure enough they were melting .
We hardly ever drive the car at night , with the tail lamps always burning . so all that heat was mainly from just braking and standing at stop lights ... these bulbs have only been in for a month or so , so beware

ColTED, JoeX and Gkon like this.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sylvania Silverstar Light Bulbs

wow thanks for the info!
Gkon likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Nov 2014, 05:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Yikes man. thanks for the heads up!
Gkon likes this.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 06:09 pm
Banned

These were my posts in the other thread as I had the same thing happen to both my taillight lenses:

I can tell you from personal experience do not use the Sylvania SilverStar bulbs, they burn hotter because they are a whiter light, and they will melt the plastic housings of the taillights. I have not had any problems using the SilverStar bulbs for headlights or driving lights and I think that is because those enclosures are larger and dissipate the heat better. Luckily Sylvania reimbursed me for the destroyed taillight housings. They wanted them for testing and their lab confirmed that the bulbs can cause damage in some installations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN
"They also had a commercial on TV telling anyone that used Sylvania Silverstar bulbs to go on-line to fill in a class action against the company. Like you i have them on the headlights and fog lights on my PT without a problem but filled out the forms for the class action and awaiting the outcome."

Thanks for this info! I did not know about the lawsuit, but I have now filed my claim, below are the links and all claims must be filed by 11/14/14, for anyone else that has purchased any of the Sylvania covered products:

https://autolightclaims.com/mainpage/Notice.aspx

https://autolightclaims.com/

I would advise you to contact Sylvania Customer Service and explain what happened. I did and they refunded me for replacement lenses as well as replacement sockets because their bulbs burned them as well. Good Luck!
Old 06 Nov 2014, 08:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Right ! you got me thinking about mine ! they're melted but not ruined , I appriciate the heads up
just sucks that they continue to sell those , KNOWING they burn too hot !

Last edited by boonie2; 06 Nov 2014 at 08:43 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 09:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
Right ! you got me thinking about mine ! they're melted but not ruined , I appriciate the heads up
just sucks that they continue to sell those , KNOWING they burn too hot !
Here's what the SilverStar bulbs did to the sockets on my PT, besides melting the lenses. These are not the original sockets to my PT but had been replaced about (3) years ago, note the burnt color. I think the bulbs had been in use about (2) months before I noticed the problem:

You gotta figure that it would be virtually impossible for any bulb manufacturer to test their products in each and every housing that is manufactured to see how they perform. So my take on it is that they will deal with the complaints that come in, like mine and settle it then. Under most circumstances the SilverStar bulb may be fine, in a larger housing, but in the PT the bulb compartment for the brake bulb is very small so the heat builds up and therefore melts the housing. When I had contacted them when I had my problem, they wanted me to send them the lenses and bulbs so they could test them under real conditions. They put a thermocouple inside the bulb compartment, fixed the hole and then illuminated the bulbs to see how much and how fast the heat builds up inside. The results probably surprised them, too!

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Nov 2014 at 10:01 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2014, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up, OP!

what about the Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs, anyone had the same problem?
Old 07 Nov 2014, 02:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColTED View Post
Thanks for the heads up, OP!

what about the Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs, anyone had the same problem?
I have used the SilverStar bulbs on my PT for the headlights and driving lights, for several years now, without any problems and I think they are ok in those housings because they are larger and dissipate the heat better than the taillights.
ColTED likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2014, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I have used the SilverStar bulbs on my PT for the headlights and driving lights, for several years now, without any problems and I think they are ok in those housings because they are larger and dissipate the heat better than the taillights.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 07 Nov 2014, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

WOW Rckstein thats a definate fire hazzard !!!!!!!!!!!!