Mutiple Codes?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 2 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mutiple Codes?

Bought the 2004 Cruiser 2 months ago from a used car dealership. had it 2-days and it started to run hot, took it back and they worked on it, said they replaced the radiator. as the tempetures started cooling off, I noticed the check engine light on, checked it and it said thermostat below regulated tempeture, well I really didn't do anything about it, well driving it around town today it starts jumping and shaking and stalling out going up hills, I borrowed my step dads code reader and got theses codes--P0128, P2074, P0137, P0138, P0123. Really not sure whats going on here, I work on air conditioners for a living, any help would be great. ( I think Im going to take it to the dealership where I bought it from and see if they took thermostat out and left it out) Maybe that's whats causing all theses issues as the tempeture drops off.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mutiple Codes?

You can just search on those codes...

P0123 is throttle position sensor..
P0128 is coolant too cool....
P0137 & 138 are oxygen sensors
P2074-manifold Pressure/throttle Position Correlation - possible vacuum leak

Only 1 is directly tied to the coolant temp....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking it for intake manifold leaks? I am suggesting that when they replaced the radiator they might have replaced the thermostat and if they did then they might have taken the intake manifold off to remove the hose from the thermostat housing.
I would also suggesting taking the radiator cap off when the engine is cold and see if you get coolant flow in the radiator when its cold.
If they did replace the thermostat they might have replaced it with a lower than normal temperature thermostat. Are you in a low temperature environment?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Nov 2014 at 12:35 am.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 01:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Use the scan tool clear the codes run the engine at least one full cycle and than recheck for codes.
The codes you posted looked to me like a stalled engine or no start.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Nov 2014, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

i live in Mississippi, 50 miles south of Memphis, I cleared the codes and they came right back, I drove around 45 miles and had computer on car, the coolant temp got down to 135 degrees, that's not right I know? ( at least I think) what do I need to replace first? ive always been told that one part could relate to another? making it show bad?
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you try taking the radiator cap off when the engine was cold and see if the coolant is flowing immediately?
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did you try taking the radiator cap off when the engine was cold and see if the coolant is flowing immediately?
'Cause if it does, there is either no thermostat or one that is stuck open.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you did not use a Diagnostic Scanning tool and not a viewer or disconnecting the battery the codes you are getting are more than a concern over temperature?

So lets try this again..you need to clear the codes with w Diagnostic scanning tool. Start engine let it idle for 5 minutes re-check codes. Note what comes up and than re-clear them. Go for a short drive of about 15 minute than recheck for codes. If any note them but DO NOT clear them at this point. Continue to drive until the engine light appears. STOP immediately turn engine off and recheck codes and note and then clear them.

You can always look for you cooling system issue but we need to see why
your are getting codes that relate to a failing PCM, connect-ability of the PCM or no start engine sequence?

If you are not using a Diagnostic Scanning tool than I personally can no longer help you and good luck with the members here!

One last thing unless you are in very cold it is almost impossible for the coolant to go that low even without a thermostat with your 45 mile drive. This indicates a bad coolant temperature sensor among your other issues. Your scan tool gets the information from the PCM via the coolant temperature sensor.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Nov 2014 at 11:55 am.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys! I am using a scanning tool, my step dad has one he loaned me. I did find the thermostat was stuck open, it was a fail-safe stat, and it was open, I replaced it and all codes went away except 2, and they were the same-TPS faulty, I replaced it and car seems to be running ok, no engine light is on. the oil light comes on and off at random times? The Haynes book says possibly time to rebuild engine? I hope it is just a faulty sensor? any ideas? You guys are GOOD! Thanks for the help so far...
Old 09 Nov 2014, 08:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oil pressure sensor has been known to fail - definitely try before a rebuild!!!

Glad you found most of your problems....