PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Issues starting

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Issues starting

Went out to my 2009 PT Cruiser yesterday, went to start it, started rolling over, but would not start up. Next time I tried to start, just got one click (starter) and a weird noise after, very faint and repetitive noise, that through out my years I've never heard before.

Worth noting, battery had a lot of corrosion on it, just thoroughly cleaned it this morning. All corrosion removed. The ground was a little rusty but no corrosion, and figured I'd have auxiliary power problems if ground was bad. Lights, radio, ect all work fine, plenty of juice. Cells in battery looked fine. Starter was just replaced 9 monthes ago with a NEW starter. Tried hooking battery charger up and cranking, all got me same result, one click followed by weird repetitive noise.

Any ideas ?

Thank you for any help.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Issues starting

Try getting another vehicle and using jumper cables.
Sounds like your battery is weak, and charger may not have enough amperage.
When you get it running, take it to a place that'll load test battery and check charging system - many places do it free.
If you have original battery, it's time for a new one.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Clean up the rusty ground or replace it. Check the wiring from the battery to the starter.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Was the NEW starter a manufacture rebuilt starter or a brand new starter from Chrysler dealer?
If it was a manufactured rebuilt starter what brand is it?
Does your keyless remote work?
Is there a red dot illuminated on the Instrument Cluster?
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Connections to starter looked fine, terminals to battery on the other hand looked rough, that's probably my next step, tried to scrub them when cleaning battery/posts, may need to be replaced.

My pops was a mechanic and has a pretty expensive a/c powered battery charger, I figure it should put out enough to give me a start, maybe I will try a jump later, can't hurt.

Thanks for helpful ideas. Wonder what kinda YouTube videos I can find on replacing the terminals... Lol.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Steve, got starter from pretty reputable repair ship, told me was brand new. Going to call them tomorrow and verify that, they said it had a pretty nice warranty on it, forgot exact terms. Keyless remote for doors still works fine. I'll check the red dot, brb...
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No red dot, but control panel is getting pretty dim, haven't been trying to start it since took off 50amp boost charger. Gonna try jump. I don't know anything about fixing/diagnosis on cars so I appreciate help. All I know is how to use a wrench and screwdrivers. My pops only messes with 60's car so he isn't really in the know with all these electronic systems either.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyjames63082 View Post
No red dot, but control panel is getting pretty dim, haven't been trying to start it since took off 50amp boost charger. Gonna try jump. I don't know anything about fixing/diagnosis on cars so I appreciate help. All I know is how to use a wrench and screwdrivers. My pops only messes with 60's car so he isn't really in the know with all these electronic systems either.
I would suggest taking the caps off the top of the battery. You might find the cell next to the negative and positive post low on battery fluid. If it is low refill it using distilled water and then recharge the battery.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Again, if it's original battery, since yours is an '09, that's approx 5 years - you need a new one - it won't make it thru another Chicago winter.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Nov 2014, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you did not buy the PT Cruiser new then you can check the age of the battery by looking at the shipping code. The shipping code usually appears on a sticker on the battery or a stamp burned into the battery case.

There is a link below that might help you check the age of your battery.

Battery Date Codes