Motor Mount Madness!!!!!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2014, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Mount Madness!!!!!

Finally sorted out my issues with the motor mounts (torques tubes) in my '03, non-turbo, automatic, 175,000 mile PT Cruiser. I few months ago I was replacing my a-arms and noticed that the lower torque tube as shot. I replaced that part and made two mistakes, first I didn't know about the adjustment that should be made when replacing torques tubes and second I didn't look at the other mounts. Fast forward a couple of months and I find myself under the car working on a radiator fan that's intermittent. I get that squared away and notice the same torque tube is busted again.

This time I get in the forum and ask some questions. Seems the consensus is to use the turbo mounts, they will allow more vibration but last much longer. So I figure I should replace all four and hopefully never have to mess with the this problem again. Before the parts arrive I support the car on jack stands, remove the right front wheel, pull out the two tubes and LH mount and try everything I can to get the RH mount out, but fail. The parts arrive and I see the problem, the mount is so large I can't see any way to get it out short of pulling the engine and that just isn't happening right now. So I reinstall the right hand mount and move the left hand mount, it's not the same as the one I pulled out and will not work in a non-turbo car. So I reinstall this mount too. Honestly this is not big deal since both mounts appeared to be in good shape.

I install the turbo mounts, do the alignment of the torques tubes and button the job up. I fire up the car and the vibration is so made that my teeth rattle! I go back and recheck all my work and everything is OK. There's on way I'd be happy with the car like this so I order the right torque tubes and replace the turbo parts for the right ones. Guess what, the car runs just like new (or like a car 175,000 miles).

Anyway the reason I told the story was to hopefully save others from making the same mistakes I did. First of all unless you are pulling the engine forget about replacing the RH mount. Full disclosure, I'd not a professional mechanic but I'm a pretty fair shade tree mechanic and even with all four mounts loose I couldn't get enough room to get RH mount out. Second, unless you are like having your fillings fall out stay away from the turbo torque tubes in a non-turbo. Third, be sure to do the mount alignment after you change any of the tubes or mounts. I believe that not doing the alignment is what caused the lower tube to break again so soon.

One last thing, I now have complete motor mount set for a turbo that I'd like to sell. The parts that were on the car were only on the car for 1/2 an hour. The set cost me $168 delivered but I'll take the best offer I get.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mount Madness!!!!!

Your right on the alignment procedure being very important.
rckstein likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Dec 2014, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow, I'm in need of replacementing my motor mounts but by the sounds of it I'm gonna let the garage do the job. After two heart attacks I don't need the extra frustration. Thank you for sharing; You may have just saved my life... no really.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple05PTTurbo2Dr View Post
Wow, I'm in need of replacementing my motor mounts but by the sounds of it I'm gonna let the garage do the job. After two heart attacks I don't need the extra frustration. Thank you for sharing; You may have just saved my life... no really.
If they don't know about the proper procedure. Although simple to do They might not last as long as they should.
rckstein likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Dec 2014, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If they don't know about the proper procedure. Although simple to do They might not last as long as they should.
I experienced this first hand! A Meineke shop installed (2) lower motor mounts on my PT, the first failed within (6) months, the second in (8) months! My theory is: (#1) they probably don't know about the alignment procedure, or (#2) they were faulty mounts (both from O'Reilly). What other explanation could there be? My money is on #1. There is nothing, that I can think of, that the driver does, under the normal operation of the vehicle, that can cause motor mounts to fail. The first time a shop replaced the lower motor mount, they used an OEM and it lasted almost (2-1/2) years, probably would have lasted longer if I hadn't let Meineke work on my PT, the original mounts were on the vehicle for almost (5) years.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 16 Dec 2014 at 09:14 pm.