PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door locks went crazy and then car would NOT shut off!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By myckee
  • 2 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2014, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door locks went crazy and then car would NOT shut off!

I own a 2003 GT Turbo. I had the car into the shop to have the power steering pump fixed/replaced. When I got it back, the battery was completely dead, so they gave it a boost but it was so dead that they had to wait a few minutes before they could remove the booster. I didn't even manage to get it the few blocks home before it died. They tested the battery and said it needed replacing. I was a little shocked since it was new less than 6 months ago, but I took it back under warranty and got a brand new one. I hooked it up last night and noticed right away that my power door locks on my key fob didn't work, but the Polar start auto start portion did work. Then I noticed that the driver's door lock inside the car would only unlock the doors, but not lock them. The passenger door locked the doors fine. I parked the car for the night and this morning, I used my auto start and it worked. When I went out to get in, I used the key manually, because the fob still didn't work. However, the key gave me some trouble and it took several tries before it finally opened. Every time I tried to unlock the door, it sounded like the back door was unlocking, even though it wasn't. I finally got in, inserted the key and tried the door locks on the interior. The driver's side now worked. Then, all of a sudden, it went crazy and the door locks were locking and unlocking in rapid succession. It sounded like something was clicking rapidly on the driver's side in the rear, maybe in the wall behind the rear seat? I also now noticed an electrical burning smell so I quickly pulled the car out of the driveway and parked it on the road. I then tried to shut the car off, but no matter what I did, it wouldn't shut off. I took the key right out and even tried to use the cancel button on the auto start and even that didn't work. I eventually pulled the battery cable and it finally shut down. Meanwhile, the electrical burning smell remained. And there it sits. I'm more than a little miffed since I just spent $1000 MORE dollars on this car and I apparently STILL can't drive it. Does anyone know what it could be and if I am able to fix this myself?
Old 11 Nov 2014, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door locks went crazy and then car would NOT shut off!

WOW almsot sounds like it is POSSESED

MAybe check the cable ends and make sure they are really clean
hopefully some one will ahve a good idea it could be the REK
Old 11 Nov 2014, 05:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I had this happen once in my 280Z, the fuel pump relay got stuck, I was sitting at a traffic light & all of a sudden the car keep trying to start itself over & over again...smoke came out of the vents...pulled key out & nothing happened...car was still running & trying to start. I did the same as you did, had to pull the battery cables to shut it down.
I had to replace the front harness...but the car still had problems after that...lights would flicker when I drove it at night...I ended up getting rid of it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Nov 2014, 05:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

If I had to guess, my first thought is the auto start system. Most of the ones I have ever seen look like they were installed by a 5 year old. None of the connections are soldered properly and instead they use those little pinch clamp things to tap into existing wiring. As well the control boxes look and feel extremely cheap.

If it has failed, or shorted internally, or if some poor connections are shorting out, it would probably do what you describe....except for the key not working in the lock. That's usually caused by dirt and rust inside from lack of use because most people use the remote all the time.

It could also be demonic possession, but those cases are extremely rare.
Mstickle and LionPT like this.

Last edited by myckee; 11 Nov 2014 at 05:58 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Although I'd like to vote for demonic possession (that sounds MUCH more dramatic!), I'm guessing it might be the polar start unit. I just went out and connected the battery and started it up and everything seems to work again, except the power door locks on the fob. I'll look into getting a new unit. Then I'm going to sell, although I really LOVE the car. (you'd think the car would KNOW this and quit pulling crap on me!) I simply can't keep having issues like this as I need a reliable car due to my job.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are going to sell it, then remove the polar start and save the new owner a headache. You could also do the same thing and then keep the car.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstickle View Post
Then I noticed that the driver's door lock inside the car would only unlock the doors, but not lock them. When I went out to get in, I used the key manually, because the fob still didn't work. However, the key gave me some trouble and it took several tries before it finally opened. Every time I tried to unlock the door, it sounded like the back door was unlocking, even though it wasn't.
I would suggest checking out the drivers side door lock cylinder switch. Seems to me if the switch is bad it may send the wrong information to the Keyless Entry Module (RKEM).
Old 11 Nov 2014, 10:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstickle View Post
When I got it back, the battery was completely dead, so they gave it a boost but it was so dead that they had to wait a few minutes before they could remove the booster. I didn't even manage to get it the few blocks home before it died. They tested the battery and said it needed replacing. I was a little shocked since it was new less than 6 months ago, but I took it back under warranty and got a brand new one.
How long did they have the PT Cruiser to make the repairs?
Did the PT Cruiser have any problems prior to taking it in for power steering pump repair or replace?
Old 11 Nov 2014, 10:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would disconnect your remote start and see what is does for symptoms.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles