Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A Request

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2014, 07:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default A Request

As many others, I also am searching for a strut tower bar, mine is a 2003 GT. These are really hard to locate and even tougher if you want a real brace and not a bent bar, that's just for looks. I someone has the real deal with the 3 bolt mount, can you please post some pictures of it at various angles and take down the measurements from point to point to point etc....Try and show clearances at different locations. I have a friend that is a metal fabricator and between the two of us we want to try to produce a few. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I know I am not the only person hunting for one of these......
Old 16 Nov 2014, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A Request

Have you ever seen the "real deal" with a 3 bolt mount for a PT? I have the solid steel bar that goes into heavy duty mounts on each side but only held on by two out of the three upper strut bolts. I've only seen the 3 bolt mounts on other cars like the Mustang where the strut towers are further forward than the PT so a ring mount that uses more than two bolts can be used.

Test large picture. Dial up users beware!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
t bar, that's just for looks. I someone has the real deal with the 3 bolt mount, Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I know I am not the only person hunting for one of these......
The way you need to clear engine parts a single bar with 2 mounting points even using the strut 3 bolts mounting unless it was a solid bar and a strapped tower side brace is not going to really work. Looked into this and have my own version in the works.
But I wish you good luck with your project !

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Nov 2014, 12:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
As many others, I also am searching for a strut tower bar, mine is a 2003 GT. These are really hard to locate and even tougher if you want a real brace and not a bent bar, that's just for looks. I someone has the real deal with the 3 bolt mount, can you please post some pictures of it at various angles and take down the measurements from point to point to point etc....Try and show clearances at different locations. I have a friend that is a metal fabricator and between the two of us we want to try to produce a few. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I know I am not the only person hunting for one of these......
I recently searched for one of these. I already have a NOPI twin strut bar kit. And even though it will give me 50 more horsepower and cure erectile dysfunction, I don't believe it will do very much to stiffen the suspension.

The only source I've found for a real strut brace that might be more substantial than my magical NOPI bars is at this link. I don't know if they actually have them or not. But when you select the turbo version, it does show them as available. You might give them a call.

Chrysler PT Cruiser BTG PT Cruiser Strut Tower Brace

Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Nov 2014 at 12:12 am.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I recently searched for one of these. I already have a NOPI twin strut bar kit. And even though it will give me 50 more horsepower and cure erectile dysfunction, I don't believe it will do very much to stiffen the suspension.

The only source I've found for a real strut brace that might be more substantial than my magical NOPI bars is at this link. I don't know if they actually have them or not. But when you select the turbo version, it does show them as available. You might give them a call.

Chrysler PT Cruiser BTG PT Cruiser Strut Tower Brace

Please let us know what you find out.
Checked the site, Thanks

Last edited by War_Eagle; 17 Nov 2014 at 10:49 am.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Checked the site and it says "out of stock" Thanks
It only says that until you chose turbo or non-turbo, then it indicates it is in stock. Or at least that's the way it looks to me. And because it shows in stock, you can put it in the website's shopping cart and buy it. Of course, this may only mean the website has not been updated to reflect the lack of available stock.

I went ahead and contacted them to see if they truly have any or can get them. I am pretty sure the BTG PT Cruiser Strut Tower Brace is no longer made. But it's always possible that someone has a back supply of one or more.

There were some reverse lights I wanted a while back that were discontinued, so I searched and searched, called just about every vendor and finally found a set. Sadly they wanted about 4 times what they were worth. But it does indicate that persistence like this can pay off.

Here's a better photo of what this brace looks like:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Nov 2014 at 10:57 am.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Have you ever seen the "real deal" with a 3 bolt mount for a PT? I have the solid steel bar that goes into heavy duty mounts on each side but only held on by two out of the three upper strut bolts. I've only seen the 3 bolt mounts on other cars like the Mustang where the strut towers are further forward than the PT so a ring mount that uses more than two bolts can be used.

Yes, I have seen many different strut tower braces around the country at various shows and the majority are 2 bolt, some fabricated and some aftermarket. I have seen nice quality and I have seen "bent metal bars" I liked the look of a 3 bolt mount that I saw at a show this year, I am sure it was fabricated. I was asking if someone had a similar setup? Sorry for the misunderstanding, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers....
Old 17 Nov 2014, 11:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
It only says that until you chose turbo or non-turbo, then it indicates it is in stock. Or at least that's the way it looks to me. And because it shows in stock, you can put it in the website's shopping cart and buy it. Of course, this may only mean the website has not been updated to reflect the lack of available stock.

I went ahead and contacted them to see if they truly have any or can get them. I am pretty sure the BTG PT Cruiser Strut Tower Brace is no longer made. But it's always possible that someone has a back supply of one or more.

There were some reverse lights I wanted a while back that were discontinued, so I searched and searched, called just about every vendor and finally found a set. Sadly they wanted about 4 times what they were worth. But it does indicate that persistence like this can pay off.
Thanks, that is a good looking bar, I will see if it is actually available.
Here's a better photo of what this brace looks like:

Thanks, that is a good looking bar, I will see if they have it or can get it.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 11:18 am
Cool Cruiser

heres mine on a na converted to hann, turbo , i got it from maggie at race and street i think she still has them,, i fit it on my 2006 turbo, with just movien one turbo valve thingy above the passenger side strut mount , and it has 3 mounts on the strut cup top,
i wish it was different ,,,,,,,,,,,
you have to adjust it before you install it on the 3 strut bolts,
a better design would be mount then tighten apart or tighter together ,, as mine get is a bit loose and knocks the firewall, to tighen is a bit of a pita, because it doesnt wat to go back on the sturt bolts and you have to beat eh crap out of it with a bfh to get it to sit enough to get the bolts on,,

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Nov 2014 at 11:47 am.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 01:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

I do not think the Wildfire STB is a solid core piece. If it was, I don't think the 'I' bolts would thread into the ends. iirc, the are bolts welded onto the ends so the 'i' bolt can be threaded in for adjustment
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer