PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
has my car possibly been wrecked by the contaminated fuel?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2014, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default has my car possibly been wrecked by the contaminated fuel?

Two petrol stations were shut down temporarily citing the fuel was contaminated. People reported their cars just dying on them shortly after leaving the stations.

I use one of them but had not noticed any issues in the car, not like what others were saying, but had noticed a few days later, (car is used daily) that I am now having real trouble starting the car even though more petrol has since been added to the car from another station and this weird whine sound at times, not all the time, just some times.

How do I even prove I was the victim if I have in fact been a victim?

They said the fuel was contaminated by water being present in their tanks.

Old 06 Dec 2014, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: has my car possibly been wrecked by the contaminated fuel?

Years ago my wife got a tank of bad gas, and did not get very far before car died and would not restart.
Had to have car towed and fuel system was cleaned out - they gave me a glass bottle of some of the bad fuel.
I was concerned because I had no receipt or proof of where I'd gotten the fuel, but because I had a sample, I learned each gas company can identify their own fuel because of additives they used, and the gas company paid for tow and labor to clean the fuel system.

If you have driven a while, add methanol - used to be called "dry gas" - the alcohol mixes both with water and gas.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Dec 2014, 08:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

What kinda damage can this really do to my car though? I always keep receipts for tax purposes, but the petrol stations say not all people were affected. I just find it odd that not long after my car now struggles to start up in the morning.

Car has some issues still anyway, but now this, I have no idea if this is what made things worse or if it was an older issue. Just had the radiator replaced as well as the battery, did the cam sensor myself.

I really have no idea what damage contaminated fuel can do, and it must be flushed out of the system now as I have since filled up twice, but this issue now remains.

Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest posting what the other problems were with the PT Cruiser before you got contaminated gas in your gas tank. One of the previous problems may have gotten worse with the contaminated gas.
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well My car before was cutting out and had code 340. cam sensor. Since replacing it the car was great.

2nd issue was car battery, which was replaced, car was fine after.

3rd issue was radiator leak, temp fix failed, so had a new one few weeks ago. All fine.

And now I am getting start up problems, I mean it's really rough, sometimes wont start. Happened not long after the thing came to light about contaminated fuel. So not sure if this caused some problem or some issue has come about due to the radiator replacement.

At the same time i began having the issue with startup I do sometimes get this weird buzz type whirring sound when driving but it isn't happening all the time, almost feels like a belt issue, but had them checked and they are fine. I just have no idea what is wrong now.

I won't give up on my baby though, love the car too much.

Power steering? Would it affect an engines startup though?

Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
What kinda damage can this really do to my car though? I always keep receipts for tax purposes, but the petrol stations say not all people were affected. I just find it odd that not long after my car now struggles to start up in the morning.

Car has some issues still anyway, but now this, I have no idea if this is what made things worse or if it was an older issue. Just had the radiator replaced as well as the battery, did the cam sensor myself.

I really have no idea what damage contaminated fuel can do, and it must be flushed out of the system now as I have since filled up twice, but this issue now remains.
This is not as big a deal as it was with carbureted engines. Should pass through the injectors with out issue . Like a water injection system. But if worried the current issues are related put some Berryman's chemtool B-12 fuel injector cleaner in your tank. Should be good . If you are passing some water through the system you are decarbonizing as you drive. Maybe it's the new place that you PT dosent like. Find another to see if it gets better.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you getting engine trouble codes and if so what are they?
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.

No engine codes at present, but plan to check again in the morning. My plan is to really try and work this out tomorrow whilst I am off. Feel like I am damaging the car at the moment with these sounds and the rough engine starts.

mechanics here are useless for some reason when dealing with these cars. And one guy I know who is good is away on holiday at present.

Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you tell us where the sounds are coming from?
I would check anything that is belt driven. power steering pump, alternator, A/C. etc.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Dec 2014 at 10:36 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2014, 10:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
Thanks for the replies.

No engine codes at present, but plan to check again in the morning. My plan is to really try and work this out tomorrow whilst I am off. Feel like I am damaging the car at the moment with these sounds and the rough engine starts.

mechanics here are useless for some reason when dealing with these cars. And one guy I know who is good is away on holiday at present.
Do you have access to any kind if fuel injector cleaner. If so put some in. Don't worry if the tank isn't full. Just makes it a stronger mix. You're not killing anything if it's fuel related.
kerstuf likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com