PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help me choose correct key fob

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2015, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help me choose correct key fob

Hello everyone. I am interested in buying my wife a new key fob for her 03 cruiser. We bought it some months ago and only have a key to operate it. I have seen some posts regarding this issue, however would appreciate you all to point me in the right direction the first time.

A listing on ebay or other websites would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 02 Jan 2015, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help me choose correct key fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTMOM View Post
Hello everyone. I am interested in buying my wife a new key fob for her 03 cruiser. We bought it some months ago and only have a key to operate it. I have seen some posts regarding this issue, however would appreciate you all to point me in the right direction the first time.

A listing on ebay or other websites would be helpful.

Thanks
To avoid going to the dealer. You might opp to go to a pic and pull and find a chrysler that has at least one fob. PT preferred because I know where the module is located under the upper dash cover above the window switch. Some guys on here have found that if you get that module and fob from the same car it will work on your cruiser. Just make sure you stay 05 and back. Fob part of key after that. You do have power lock button correct?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought I read I didn't need an existing key fob to program the new one? Yes it's power windows.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTMOM View Post
I thought I read I didn't need an existing key fob to program the new one? Yes it's power windows.
To my knowledge you need one to program another. Don't know if anybody has plug and play that you can buy. But Just in the last month it has come to light that you can swap the box and fob or fobs from another junked pt or chrysler of those years. Just plug it in and the fobs you got with it will work on yours. Otherwise you have to visit a dealer. To the best of my knowledge.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not done this but I have heard others doing this.

I have heard that you can go to some place like Walmart that can "clone" your one existing key. Since the new cloned key will seem like the same original key to your PT, you cannot use it to program more keys.

Maybe others on this forum can give more details on cloning an existing key.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I have not done this but I have heard others doing this.

I have heard that you can go to some place like Walmart that can "clone" your one existing key. Since the new cloned key will seem like the same original key to your PT, you cannot use it to program more keys.

Maybe others on this forum can give more details on cloning an existing key.
There wanting a fob Steve.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
There wanting a fob Steve.
Does an cloned key have the ability to unlock, lock the doors, turn on the panic button or is that where an FOB is required. I am thinking of getting an extra key myself.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Does an cloned key have the ability to unlock, lock the doors, turn on the panic button or is that where an FOB is required. I am thinking of getting an extra key myself.
I'm far from an expert, but the FOB is what talks to the RKEM (Remote keyless entry module) and does the unlock & alarm, etc.
The key has the chip in it that has to satisfy the security module above steering wheel, or else the key (if cut correctly) will turn in the ignition, start the car, but car will shut off quickly if chip in key isn't recognized.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jan 2015, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
This is the fob you need !The key does all the things you do now. If you have a chipped key. Gray keys are chipped. You need to clone or get one programed to the PT. Some dealers don't want to program a key you bought elsewhere. If you get the dealer programmed key You can make more on your own. A clone you can't

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2015, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Help me choose correct key fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
To my knowledge you need one to program another. Don't know if anybody has plug and play that you can buy. But Just in the last month it has come to light that you can swap the box and fob or fobs from another junked pt or chrysler of those years. Just plug it in and the fobs you got with it will work on yours. Otherwise you have to visit a dealer. To the best of my knowledge.
THIS ^^^^
Just did this for the 2005 Dream Cruiser.
The only difference in my 2005 key fob is, the convertible has an additional button for the convertible hatch.
A regular body Cruiser does not need this; as unlocking the doors unlocks the rear hatch.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT as the new Day Driver - being converted to a Panel PT

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 02 Jan 2015 at 03:04 pm.