• 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 2 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2015, 10:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No Brake lights or tail lights/running lights

Need some help.
I have a 05 Pt Cruiser that the brake lights and tail lights quit working. I have turn signal lights, and reverse lights but no brake or tail lights. Checked the fuses for brake and tail inside and under the hood. Don't think the bulbs are blown which would be strange for both to blow at the same time. I think the multifunction is good because it wouldn't have anything to do with the brake light if I'm correct. Did a search and could not find anyone that had the same problem that I am having unless I over looked it. Can someone tell where to start to fix this problem. I know its not that hard to fix the problem just need to know where to start.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11 Feb 2015, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Brake lights or tail lights/running lights

Start by taking out one of the lenses - single screw on the bottom.
Twist out bulbs and look at socket and test for voltage.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Feb 2015, 02:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you have checked the fuses and they are good I would suggest replacing both tail light bulbs. When you do replace the light bulbs check the wire connectors going to the light bulb sockets. Make sure they are making good contact. As long as you are going to check the voltage at the light bulb sockets get some new bulbs first. When one of my tail light bulbs goes out I replace both at the same time as I know the other one is about to go out also.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If you have checked the fuses and they are good I would suggest replacing both tail light bulbs. When you do replace the light bulbs check the wire connectors going to the light bulb sockets. Make sure they are making good contact. As long as you are going to check the voltage at the light bulb sockets get some new bulbs first. When one of my tail light bulbs goes out I replace both at the same time as I know the other one is about to go out also.
And when you take out the lenses, look for signs of moisture - some people have reported broken bulbs from moisture hitting hot bulbs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, got a chance to check the bulbs today. Both bulbs was blown. Never had both side to go at the same time. Anyway all is well.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 11:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzmann56 View Post
Thanks for the advice, got a chance to check the bulbs today. Both bulbs was blown. Never had both side to go at the same time. Anyway all is well.
Was glass intact and bulbs just blown, or glass broken?

Old 14 Feb 2015, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Both bulbs was broken, which was strange to me. Never seen blubs do that before in any of the cars I have own.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzmann56 View Post
Both bulbs was broken, which was strange to me. Never seen blubs do that before in any of the cars I have own.
You have water getting into the tailights - water hits the hot bulbs and they shatter.
Take the housings out and use clear silicone caulk and seal them, or get new tailight housings.
Some people have the problem, most don't...

Old 14 Feb 2015, 03:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

When you remove the brake light housing and look down I think you see the ground, just imagine how much water gets thrown up from the rear tires into the back of the brake light housing while your driving through rain. It does have a weep hole but might be perfect to get water into instead out of.
LionPT likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh