PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stella wont start after a long winter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2015, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stella wont start after a long winter

I have an 07 PT cruiser with 115k miles on it, she is my sister Stella

I live in Mass and we had a record setting winter for snowfall. I am broke and do not have a garage, my poor Stella has been under snow for the past 5-6 weeks..

I got in her this morning and I was not surprised she wouldent start. I have one of those cool battery jump kits, didnt work. She could use a new battery anyway, i thought...one hour later...

theres a brand new battery in her and all she does is struggle to crank. I can hear the starter motor trying just as hard. I do not know what to do!

She sometimes struggles to crank, in the cold mornings but not like this.. It sounds like the oil is sludge in there? I dont know, not super mechanically inclined but it just sounds like dirty nasty friction when she cranks and it is super slow and laboured. I had the oil changed on her about 400 miles ago before the storms, back in December.

Please help!! I love her... its not cancer is it?
Old 16 Mar 2015, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stella wont start after a long winter

Yeah.

I saw your YouTube video on this earlier today. You really look bummed out.

So the battery is new and fully charged?

If the temperature is not way below freezing and if the motor continues to struggle to turn over, then you may have a bad starter. You noted that this has periodically happened before? If so, it's possible that a little additional corrosion built up while the car was sitting in the snow. And now the starter just turns slowly.

Of course, if the antifreeze was mostly water, the block could have frozen, busted and put the crankshaft in a bind. But let's not go there yet. First, clean all the battery cable connections, including the one on the starter, and then make sure they are all tight. If no joy, I'd then remove the starter myself and take it to a place like Autozone where they will test it for free. Also, let them test the new battery too while you are there. It is possible to get a bad new battery.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Mar 2015 at 06:10 pm.
Old 16 Mar 2015, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your reply! it has been about 40 during the day for the past week around here, id drops below freezing at night for sure.

so it is now 730, dark and cold, looks like tomorrow ill be pulling the starter like you said. Im sure ill have to jack it up.. going to have to do some shoveling, fun fun!
Old 16 Mar 2015, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just be sure to check all the connections first. A poor connection or damaged cable can cause resistance that can sometimes cause an issue like this. It's rare but it does happen.