PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
overheating problems

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2015, 07:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Default overheating problems

I tried do do a search but I only have my smart phone and for some reason, it won't let me search anything so I'll have to ask.
My 2001 LE started overheating last Thursday evening and I knew the radiator was leaking so it wasn't unexpected. Since i had it apart I figured I'd do some things that I have been putting off.
I did plugs, oil change and filter, new thermostat, new radiator and new A/C compressor.
Long story short, it is still overheating. It's fine when its just idling. The low speed fan comes on and the temp stays at the 3 o'clock position but once I start driving, it starts overheating in just a few miles.
Please don't tell me I need to do a waterpump. Lol. Is there any way to check the waterpump without tearing into the engine?
Any suggestions?
Old 17 Mar 2015, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: overheating problems

Did you burp the radiator after putting HOAT coolant in it.
Are you still losing coolant?
Did you check the radiator cap?
Did you check your heater core?
Did you check your high speed on your fan by turning on the air conditioning?
Did you check the hose between the radiator cap and the overflow tank?
Are you getting any engine trouble codes?

I would suggest that when the PT Cruiser is cold take the radiator cap, start the engine, let it warm up to normal temperatures and see if you see bubbles coming up in the radiator.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Mar 2015 at 08:12 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 17 Mar 2015, 08:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did you burp the radiator after putting HOAT coolant in it.

Nope, didn't burp it.

Are you still losing coolant?

Nope. It's tight

Did you check the radiator cap?

Cap is new.

Did you check your heater coil?

heater coil? No I didnt. Do you mean the heater core?

Did you check your high speed on your fan by turning on the air conditioning?

I can't get the new compressor to kick on.

Did you check the hose between the radiator cap and the overflow tank?

Yes, it flows

Are you getting any engine trouble codes?

no codes at all.

I would suggest that when the PT Cruiser is cold take the radiator cap, start the engine, let it warm up to normal temperatures and see if you see bubbles coming up in the radiator.

I'll try that right now.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does the coolant flow in the radiator after the engine gets to normal temperature?
Old 17 Mar 2015, 08:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AZPT View Post
Air in the system will definitely cause overheat.

Make sure to use the bleeder valve to burp system.
While engine is running, open the bleeder valve. Keep it open until the stream of coolant is constant through the valve. Meaning no more air in the system.
top is off at the radiator neck. And hopefully you'll be good to go.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 20 Mar 2015, 09:27 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TXPTGT View Post
Air in the system will definitely cause overheat.

Make sure to use the bleeder valve to burp system.
While engine is running, open the bleeder valve. Keep it open until the stream of coolant is constant through the valve. Meaning no more air in the system.
top is off at the radiator neck. And hopefully you'll be good to go.
I've done all this and it still is overheating. After doing some research, I'm beginning to think I blew the head gasket so I have a few questions.

Is there a way to test if it is indeed a blown head gasket?

Assuming it is a head gasket, is it a tough job for an average back yard mechanic such as myself?

If I'm do the head gasket, should I do the timing belt and water pump as well? Is it much extra work do combine those procedures?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AZPT View Post
I've done all this and it still is overheating. After doing some research, I'm beginning to think I blew the head gasket so I have a few questions.

Is there a way to test if it is indeed a blown head gasket?

Assuming it is a head gasket, is it a tough job for an average back yard mechanic such as myself?

If I'm do the head gasket, should I do the timing belt and water pump as well? Is it much extra work do combine those procedures?
There is a chemical test you can get to check for exhaust gas in the radiator. That will help indicate if there is a blown head gasket. Here's some examples:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive

You can do the head gasket in the back yard. About a year ago, I did the head gasket on my son's Mazda 6 in the back yard and that is much harder than on a PT Cruiser. On the PT, the hard part is removing the timing belt due to the tight space in have to work in. But forum members do them all the time. You will need to read up on forum threads that show you how to do them.

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Remember to take the removed head to a machine shop to have it rebuilt and planed or check for damage as needed.

And of course, change out the timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner and idler while you have the belt off. Gates makes a nice kit that comes with all of. Rock Auto is good source for this and a head gasket set. Use this discount code to get 5% off the price:

DE1E6B05409089

And you can likely get free shipping of the order is over $100. I'm going to do my timing belt soon and I ordered the drive belts, thermostat, front crank seal and for other things along with my kit.

Old 20 Mar 2015, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Does the coolant flow in the radiator after the engine gets to normal temperature?
Have you checked the thermostat?
Old 20 Mar 2015, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Have you checked the thermostat?
He put in new thermostat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Mar 2015, 03:59 pm
Young Cruiser

I even cut the guts out of the thermostat so there was no restriction just to eliminate any questions about flow.
I've got it pretty much down to either a bad head gasket or a cracked head. I'm not a professional mechanic but by process of elimination, that's pretty much all that's left. Any thoughts?