PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wiring, under hood

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2015, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default wiring, under hood

Hi folks, I just bought an 05 cruiser and the guy I bought it from had some work done on it by someone and they made a mess out of it. It does not start, but will turn over, but first I have to figure out a few things. What I would like to fine out is about a single green wire that is not connected to anything. It is located just under the throttle body and is about six inches long, can anyone tell me what this wire is and what it connects to.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: wiring, under hood

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

You should tell us about yourself and your PT in the new members section.

Next, we need to know if this is a turbo or non-turbo car. And is this the US domestic version of the PT with the 2.4L engine? A photo of the wire in question would help too.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 03:56 pm
Banned

This has come up several times before and it always been the ignition coil capacitor wire.

If you have a turbo PT then these pics should explain it. It plugs in just above and behind the ignition coil on the left side as you are facing the firewall.

The capacitor is held in place by one of the two bolts that attach the rear hanger support to the turbo intake.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 19 Mar 2015 at 05:28 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a non turbo, 2.4, and as far as I know it is a domestic. I just joined today and still have to do the profile thing
Old 19 Mar 2015, 05:35 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieffjoe View Post
I have a non turbo, 2.4, and as far as I know it is a domestic. I just joined today and still have to do the profile thing
Then my suggestion will not apply in your case.

Sorry.

A pic of the offending wire (a close up AND also one from a short distance back) to give us a better idea of it's exact location, might be in order.

Some thing to keep in mind---the wire can only plug into something that is within it's length of swing, in other words it can't plug into something, for instance, that is located at some far point on the engine because the wire simply won't reach it. Under normal circomstances this should make it almost impossable to NOT find were it goes.

This should be very, very simple.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 19 Mar 2015 at 06:02 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Joe, you say the wire is just hanging there but one end is attached to something, isn't it. What is it attached to? Does it start at the throttle body attached to one of the 3 bolts of it? Does it come out of a harness and not attached at the free end? The ONLY green wire that I know of from the factory is the one that goes to the starter from the battery.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:09 pm
Banned

IF that wire is green with orange stripe on your N/A, then it goes to the same ignition capacitor BUT on an N/A it's located just below the cam cover under the throttle body. One of the heater pipes almost touches it as the hose works its way to the firewall. I'll get pics up for you in a second.

By the way it's also green/orange on the turbos.

Jerry
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will post some pictures tomorrow, the wire in Question is a green wire with a narrow brown stripe, and it comes out of the big harmness rate below the throttle body. It is six to eight inches long and on the end is a clip that connects to somethin. I just went and looked for any place or thing that it may connect to within reach of the wire and there is nothing, maybe it is the turbo wire, maybe all harmnesses come standard with this wire
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think I already have a picture of it. You can just see the white clip down by the side of the engine to the rear of the Camshaft sensor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That is a green wire with orange stripe, just looked and there is nothing below the cam, but there is a home made wire just below the cam there is a bolt there it seems whoever worked on this screwed up and I st put a homemade wire there