PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
headlamp relay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2015, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question headlamp relay

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, but I had a question. My mom couldn't get her parking lights to go off.. we tried everything. also no headlights... she only had brights
when she flicked the switch I disconnected the battery until I had enough light to check it out. Outside of going to get a manual I tried troubleshooting it. I wound up getting a headlamp relay. Where is that thing on the car?.. I cant fins one anywhere.
Any help is appreciated.

2001 pt cruiser
Old 19 Mar 2015, 03:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: headlamp relay

Welcome to the forum.

I'd really like more information but will tell you these places to check.
FIRST: The headlight really only effects fog lights and low beam bulbs when high is selected. Do you have working fog lights? Do turn signals work? Do they properly work in 4-way mode without the key?
Do you have working brake lights?

SECOND: The known-to-fail MFS light switch directly sends current to the lights via several separate circuits and is probably your problem.

THIRD: Each headlight has two bulbs. One bulb lights when low is selected. This bulb stays on when high is selected.
When high is selected, the high beam bulb comes on and the low-beam stays on (now powered via the headlight relay that switches power from the fog-light circuit to the low beams).

FORTH: The rear tail lights and front parking lights are on a different circuit, but also through the MFS (multifunction switch).

LASTLY: Check these fuses.
In the Dash Fuse Block (where you will find the 5-pin headlight relay).
Fuse #1 (25 amp) is a auto-reset circuit breaker controlling lighting power.
In your car this is apparently in the location marked "spare" at the top of the dash fuse block (see below).
Fuse #2 (15 amp) controls tail and front parking lights.
Fuses # 19 & 20 (10 amp) each control one of the low (L&R) beams.

In the under-hood PDC (power distribution center) check these fuses.
#16 or 17 (15 amp) controls high beam circuits.
#10 (40 amp) controls master power to fuse block #1 & #2.

Old 19 Mar 2015, 03:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pammy, Welcome to the forum. Great answer above. Other than that, I'll have to tell you that I deleted your other post in the WELCOME section as that's reserved for you to tell us about yourself and your cruiser. Since it had the same question that you posted here, no use having the same question on two different parts of the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: headlamp relay

H I and thank you. All of the lights work outside of the problem. I did check the one fuse block, but I think I checked the wrong fuses. I also took the switch to Merles auto, telling him my problem, he told me it was my headlamp relay, so I bought one... (can't find that on the car). So what I think I will do is recheck the fuse box and order a new switch anyway, (take the relay back).
hopefully I will cover it an it will all work.... Knowledge is power... right now I'm powerless...
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you...when I posted I realized I may hve posted under the wrong forum so I also posted in the general.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was there any work done to the PT Cruiser just before you started having problems with the parking and head lights?