PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remote Start in an 03 ? Any good brand names, or nightmares?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2015, 11:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Remote Start in an 03 ? Any good brand names, or nightmares?

Hello all, Recently I got a secondary car that seems to have an aftermarket remote start installed. Needless to say, I get a slight sense of glee from pressing a button and watching my car start much like a child with a toy car would. Either way, it now makes me want to add one to my 03 Cruiser LTD and I have to ask:

Is there any good remote start/security brands that are known for working well with these cars?

I've done tons of research on Viper, but it seems there is a decent lack of documentation if you are not a dealer. Not saying I'm not savy in electronics, I'm just being cautious as to not spend 200 on a kit and end up throwing a wire stripper across my garage trying to figure out the wire colors.

That being said, I assume you need to bypass the key imobilizer security system that is built into the car itself. Do any kits include such devices that have been proven to work for your applications?

Just curious. I'd like to have some background before I jump into an unknown area.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 01:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Remote Start in an 03 ? Any good brand names, or nightmares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Hello all, Recently I got a secondary car that seems to have an aftermarket remote start installed. Needless to say, I get a slight sense of glee from pressing a button and watching my car start much like a child with a toy car would. Either way, it now makes me want to add one to my 03 Cruiser LTD and I have to ask:

Is there any good remote start/security brands that are known for working well with these cars?

I've done tons of research on Viper, but it seems there is a decent lack of documentation if you are not a dealer. Not saying I'm not savy in electronics, I'm just being cautious as to not spend 200 on a kit and end up throwing a wire stripper across my garage trying to figure out the wire colors.

That being said, I assume you need to bypass the key imobilizer security system that is built into the car itself. Do any kits include such devices that have been proven to work for your applications?

Just curious. I'd like to have some background before I jump into an unknown area.
VIPER is always a good brand when it comes to keyless/ remote start. They have many different packages that allow you to get certain features you want. If u have a smart phone , you can get a VIPER system that controls it from an app on your phone. They may not be the cheapest, (they are relatively inexpensive, though) they are known for being a good system.
I hope this helps
Eli
ALSO: factory remote start systems may still be avalible at the dealership for your car for a little more $ ... If you're looking to get it installed at a dealer, they will install the factory system at any chrysler dealer. I have been curious about getting a system for mine , if only you had a 2nd gen, then you would be looking at a $75 DIY install system that is just plug 'n play. But in 1st gens, it's always harder. But like I said, VIPER, OR DEALER INSTALLED , I've heard good reviews of both. I'll let u know if I think of something else. You might be able to pirchase a dealer installed one off eBAy for cheap, also,

Last edited by 2008ptcruzrtouring; 22 Mar 2015 at 01:16 pm.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 05:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Remote Start in an 03 ? Any good brand names, or nightmares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008ptcruzrtouring View Post
VIPER is always a good brand when it comes to keyless/ remote start. They have many different packages that allow you to get certain features you want. If u have a smart phone , you can get a VIPER system that controls it from an app on your phone. They may not be the cheapest, (they are relatively inexpensive, though) they are known for being a good system.
I hope this helps
Eli
ALSO: factory remote start systems may still be avalible at the dealership for your car for a little more $ ... If you're looking to get it installed at a dealer, they will install the factory system at any chrysler dealer. I have been curious about getting a system for mine , if only you had a 2nd gen, then you would be looking at a $75 DIY install system that is just plug 'n play. But in 1st gens, it's always harder. But like I said, VIPER, OR DEALER INSTALLED , I've heard good reviews of both. I'll let u know if I think of something else. You might be able to pirchase a dealer installed one off eBAy for cheap, also,
For a VIPER system, is it difficult to access certain wires that you are aware of? Is there any documentation on installation?

I found this site that looks extreemely useful.

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Door Auto Alarm Wiring Schematic

But I was just wondering how much instruction is included in a VIPER kit?

I'm also not sure which gen my car is. Its an 03, thats all I know.

The Taurus I have uses a Code Alarm system, but the remote start functionality is broken and I need to trace someone elses 'attempted' installation. So much electrical tape....
Old 22 Mar 2015, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
For a VIPER system, is it difficult to access certain wires that you are aware of? Is there any documentation on installation?

I found this site that looks extreemely useful.

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Door Auto Alarm Wiring Schematic

But I was just wondering how much instruction is included in a VIPER kit?

I'm also not sure which gen my car is. Its an 03, thats all I know.

The Taurus I have uses a Code Alarm system, but the remote start functionality is broken and I need to trace someone elses 'attempted' installation. So much electrical tape....
Here's some instructions How to Install Remote Start in a Chrysler PT Cruiser | eHow
I'll get a wiring diagram, just a sec
Old 22 Mar 2015, 05:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Here ya go!: Request a Chrysler Remote Start Wiring Diagram
Did these links
work ok?