PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airbag Light Staying on

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2015, 04:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Airbag Light Staying on

Hi all. I have the usual airbag light staying on. I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. I love it, but the only thing is the airbag is staying on !!. I took it into a garage to have the diagnostics done on it, and they told me to replace the front seats, but they couldn't tell me which one , even though the error message said passenger seat, because the car was American, it could have meant the driver side seat, so they suggested changing both. The fault reported was ECU Output Driver 1-Code 42 ( Passenger Seat ).Can anyone throw any light on this please its really starting to annoy me now. Is there any other way to sort this out.

TIA

Ron
Old 25 Mar 2015, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Airbag Light Staying on

I am not sure if this applies to the 1st generation.

The "seat sensor" is called an occupancy sensor, and is located in the seat cushion. It detects when enough weight is placed on the seat to activate the airbag. They're replaced by pulling off the seat cover, and it's located right on top of the seat cushion.

They can be broken by placing abnormally shaped objects in the seat, such as kneeling on the seat, or any kind of blunt heavy object.

Does the horn work?

Have you checked to make sure there is no loose wires under the seats?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Mar 2015 at 06:16 pm. Reason: Left out an important detail
Old 25 Mar 2015, 07:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The "seat sensor" is called an occupancy sensor, and is located in the seat cushion. It detects when enough weight is placed on the seat to activate the airbag. They're replaced by pulling off the seat cover, and it's located right on top of the seat cushion.

They can be broken by placing abnormally shaped objects in the seat, such as kneeling on the seat, or any kind of blunt heavy object.

Does the horn work?

Have you checked to make sure there is no loose wires under the seats?
Yea def check the horn. My Sebring had the same issue... Previous owner ran it through a fence and the airbag mis-deployed. Horn never worked
Old 26 Mar 2015, 01:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

there are seat occupancy sensor emulator on the aftermarket, but i do not know if it fits PT cruiser
Old 26 Mar 2015, 04:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Have you checked your wireing,Had a problem with the air bag light staying on. all it was is that I forgot to reconnect wire when I moved it out of the way when working on my radio. this however is on a 2006 PT. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 08:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

It is all very well to tell me that the occupancy sensor is located in the seat cushion, but please tell me how to actually access it. Do I have to remove the entire seat? And, if it is the airbag light on the dash, doesn't this indicate that it would be driver's seat that has the problem, rather than the passenger seat? Anybody? Mine is a 2006, Limited, btw.

Last edited by jdocop; 28 Mar 2015 at 08:58 am. Reason: I had left out an important detail.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 01:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

BS Bad Stories being spread here.

The first gen cruiser does NOT have a passenger seat (nor driver) sensor.
It does have seat-belt retractor sensors.

When a belt is pulled out, a circuit is completed and the ONE controller, located under the center console (rearward of the shift lever) responds appropriately.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:58 am.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 06:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagarin1956 View Post
Hi all. I have the usual airbag light staying on. I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition. I love it, but the only thing is the airbag is staying on !!. I took it into a garage to have the diagnostics done on it, and they told me to replace the front seats, but they couldn't tell me which one , even though the error message said passenger seat, because the car was American, it could have meant the driver side seat, so they suggested changing both. The fault reported was ECU Output Driver 1-Code 42 ( Passenger Seat ).Can anyone throw any light on this please its really starting to annoy me now. Is there any other way to sort this out.

TIA

Ron
UK spec 2004 model so if your's isn't the same then not my fault

I had an intermittent light coming on on mine - couldn't replicate it no matter what I tried.

Turns out it was the cable between the connector underneath the drivers seat up to the side curtains on the seat. By splicing this cable the light has stayed off -

Run a new pair of cables between the seat connector and the top of the "side curtain" airbag and see what happens
Old 28 Mar 2015, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, here's a strange development. I took my 2006 Limited to have an after market stereo installed late this morning, and guess what? All the way back home, no airbag light! I know that I looked inside the dash yesterday, and saw no wiring other than what looked like part of the HVAC, windows, clock, and radio!

I think I have a ghost.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
BS Bad Stories being spread here.

The first gen cruiser does NOT have a passenger seat (nor driver) sensor.
It does have seat-belt retractor sensors.

When a belt is pulled out, a circuit is completed and the ONE controller, located under the center console (rearward of the shift lever) responds appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdocop View Post
It is all very well to tell me that the occupancy sensor is located in the seat cushion, but please tell me how to actually access it. Do I have to remove the entire seat? And, if it is the airbag light on the dash, doesn't this indicate that it would be driver's seat that has the problem, rather than the passenger seat? Anybody? Mine is a 2006, Limited, btw.
Sanatanadharma,
Isn't the 2006 PT Cruiser a 2nd generation and if so do you have information on the Occupancy sensors for it? Thanks
Also it gets confusing when two members with different generation PT Cruisers are having the same problem.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Mar 2015 at 06:14 pm.