Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
an update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2015, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default an update

Hi all, I have an update on my 05 PT cruiser. It turns out that it is an 06 cruiser, and I found this out after doing some research on an 05 fuse box and learning that the 05 has two fuse boxes, the main box under the hood by the com and a second one on the onside to the left of the steering wheel. Well I was going to check all the fuses on the inside box and when I was looking for this inside fuse panel there was none. So I called my brother whom I got the car from and who told me it was an 05 and got him to call the guy he got it from and ask him the year and it turns out it is an 06' , my brother still has not gotten me the title yet.

There was a lot of work done to this car, 2-4 doc from what I have been told it had had a new head gasket, timing chain, New crankshaft and camshaft senser, New Cole but it will not start. I am just getting into this car, and from what I have seem of the work that was done on this car tell me the guy had not a clue. The mother cranks but will not start. I am going to push it onto my garage tomorrow and take the plugs out and start from the ground up,anyone have any info that may help
Old 26 Mar 2015, 08:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: an update

Just a shot in the dark...the camshaft sensor & coil plugs are interchangeable...switch them & see if the car starts. If it doesn't, put them back the way they were.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 26 Mar 2015, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, I will try this tomorrow and let you know what happened

Last edited by chieffjoe; 26 Mar 2015 at 08:26 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Could you look on your pt and tell me the color or the wires on the harmless leading to the coil
Old 26 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I notice there was no posting of engine trouble codes?
I recommend getting a OBDII Scan Tool. This will help tremendously in diagnosing the problem that much quicker.
Before you start taking it apart and start replacing parts the best thing to do is get the Scan Tool immediately and make sure the PCM is communicating with the Scan Tool.
Then you can tell us what the engine trouble codes are!

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Mar 2015 at 10:33 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a scanner, just got it out of the tool box and I am going to scan in the not in the morning, will post what I find tomorrow.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lion mentioned above that I should try and switch the coil wires with the cam or crankshaft sensor, I try this and still would not start. While I had the wires switched I got the codes and they are

P0107 map/bark circuit low input
P0122 pedal position sensor A circuit low input
P0107 pending
P0122 pending

I then switched the coil and crankshaft wires back the way they were and tried to start and it cranks over but would not start. I then got the codes again and they are as listed

P0340 camshaft position sensor A bank 1 circuit malfunction
P0335 crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction
P0107 map/ bar o circuit low input
P0122 T P s /pedal position sensor A circuit low input

There were four more code, p0340-pending, p0335- pending, p0107-pending, p0122- pending.

If anyone has any thing as far as to what all these can tell. Me it would be a great help. Also these two wire harnesses, the one on the coil the wires are brownish-tan with yellow stripe, black with blue stripe, and orange. The one on the camshaft sensor is grayish with white stripe, green with orange stripe, and blue with orange stripe.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 12:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Clear the codes with your scanner & see if any come back.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I cleared the codes and the same codes came back
Old 27 Mar 2015, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had to buy a new ignition coil capacitor/ radio noise compressor last week. When explaining to the tech what the situation with my pt was, which was replacing the above mentioned part, the guy that worked on the car before I got it put a homemade ground wire and hooked it into the harness that attached to the radio noise compressor. When I mentioned this to the tech at the local dealer he told me the this could blow the fuses which is what happened when my brother still had it, the tech also told me that it could burn out the com as well. With the codes I have listed above that includes two separate systems, fuel ans spark, leads me to believe that is what is going on. I think I have to replace the com, what do you all think.

Last edited by chieffjoe; 27 Mar 2015 at 03:18 pm.