Advertisements
"timing" to do it

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2015, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: transferred to Spokane, Wa. to be closer to my youngest and her son's
Default "timing" to do it

Well, I made it though another winter and decided to keep the car. 08 Touring.
I've got almost 215,000 miles. The car still runs good but its beginning to miss a little while it's warming up, the belt squeaks and squeals when I start it in the morning and when I peg the wheel when turning. the belt sound is still intermittent. I can't tell for sure but I believe the timing belt and water pump have only been changed once and there is no way to tell if it need it again before it goes so..... going to take it to the shop here in town. there are a couple of busy local shops I'm going to talk to. I can't do thing myself. I can do a lot of things, working on cars is not one of them. My questions are: how much? I know we can't tell for sure until we get in but about how much is a decent price. How long should it take? again, approximately. Ideas about what I should ask about or make sure of when they give me an estimate? Thank you in advance for your consideration.....ST
Old 27 Mar 2015, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "timing" to do it

Shop prices vary a lot depending on where you are. The timing belt job alone appears to run between $700 and $1,500. Again, where you live makes all the difference.

Beside the timing belt job, you likely should also consider have both drive belts changed and the drive belt tensioner. That should help take care of the belt noise. The engine miss may just be plugs and wires. If those have a lot of miles on them, it's likely time for a change.
767skyking and rckstein like this.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Shop prices vary a lot depending on where you are. The timing belt job alone appears to run between $700 and $1,500. Again, where you live makes all the difference.

Beside the timing belt job, you likely should also consider have both drive belts changed and the drive belt tensioner. That should help take care of the belt noise. The engine miss may just be plugs and wires. If those have a lot of miles on them, it's likely time for a change.
A compression test would be good to see how healthy the motor is. Before spending big bucks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Mar 2015, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you do go for a belt, expect needing new motor mounts, and it is a good opportunity for a new thermostat while water pump is changed.
Those things are not expensive and the 700-$1,500 range should cover it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2015, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: transferred to Spokane, Wa. to be closer to my youngest and her son's

Thank you for the information..... here is what I found.... local garage is going to do a compression check, normal cost $82. Because further repair depends on the compression test, if there is a problem with one of the cylinders, no further repair will be made and I'll owe the $82. If we go ahead with further repair, the tests cost will be included. Repairs include; Timing belt, water pump, 2 belts and tensioners, gal of antifreeze. I later asked him about wires and plugs and he said wires don't usually need to be replaced but we'll look at them closely. He, said he was already going to have the plugs out to do the compression check, so no additional labor. We went back and forth with this and that and final price is $860. Thanks again for your help so I'd be able to judge if his price was good deal... Work starts on Tuesday afternoon, should be ready Wednesday before close....
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pair View Post
Thank you for the information..... here is what I found.... local garage is going to do a compression check, normal cost $82. Because further repair depends on the compression test, if there is a problem with one of the cylinders, no further repair will be made and I'll owe the $82. If we go ahead with further repair, the tests cost will be included. Repairs include; Timing belt, water pump, 2 belts and tensioners, gal of antifreeze. I later asked him about wires and plugs and he said wires don't usually need to be replaced but we'll look at them closely. He, said he was already going to have the plugs out to do the compression check, so no additional labor. We went back and forth with this and that and final price is $860. Thanks again for your help so I'd be able to judge if his price was good deal... Work starts on Tuesday afternoon, should be ready Wednesday before close....
Not sure if that is a great deal or not in your area. But its on the lower end of the scale overall. So with the assurance of a good test I think you can get your moneys worth over a few months driving over a car payment.
rckstein and buddyiramae like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Mar 2015, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do get new wires. The wires should be changed when plugs are changed.
Price is very good.
rckstein and buddyiramae like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2015, 09:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pair View Post
That's a pretty good price for all that work. Might as well get new plug wires as they are not that expensive, and the mechanic will be all in that area anyway. I'm sure the mech will let you know the condition of the motor mounts, as well.

In the meantime, if you keep it and have the work done, try contacting Chrysler and see if you qualify for a 200,000 Mile Club license plate frame.

Old 30 Mar 2015, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

thats a great price but what i would make sure i ahve IN WRITTING is IF it is out of time and the timing thing seems to be a big deal to get 100% right will they go back in and redo it for free??????? not saying anything bad about the shop[ but a lot of folks come back after a TB change and say its not right and they say its in time
Old 30 Mar 2015, 10:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
thats a great price but what i would make sure i ahve IN WRITTING is IF it is out of time and the timing thing seems to be a big deal to get 100% right will they go back in and redo it for free??????? not saying anything bad about the shop[ but a lot of folks come back after a TB change and say its not right and they say its in time
IMO, I think that should go without saying that any reputable shop would do the replacement according to any service manual or procedures, which of course, would include the proper procedure to set the timing. It should not be required to put anything extra in writing that they do a proper and accurate job. That's why a person picks a reputable shop that will stand behind their work, not for the shop to potentially say, "...oh well, we replaced the parts you wanted us to and it runs a little rough, deal with it."