I Need Help Threads

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BMC.ret
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default I Need Help Threads

While perusing the forum this a.m. I started to ponder why so many people that ask for help, get responses from the members, never return to tell us how things went. It is like a book or movie stopping just before the ending, a cliff hanger. Coming here weeping, wailing, convulsed in pain and then "poof"....Gone. Please be kind and don't leave us hanging, some of us like to see the ending, good or bad.
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I Need Help Threads

I call them "one-post wonders", and there are lots of them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Mar 2015, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC.ret View Post
While perusing the forum this a.m. I started to ponder why so many people that ask for help, get responses from the members, never return to tell us how things went. It is like a book or movie stopping just before the ending, a cliff hanger. Coming here weeping, wailing, convulsed in pain and then "poof"....Gone. Please be kind and don't leave us hanging, some of us like to see the ending, good or bad.
You've got to understand the mind set.

Not everybody likes to hang out on internet gear-head forums. Instead, the story kind'a goes like this:

1. A car breaks down.
2. Owner tries to fix or has no clue how to fix.
3. Owner types in questions on how to fix into Google.
4. Google shows many results including threads on this forum.
5. Owner clicks on many of the results, but finds nothing that directly addresses this problem.
6. Owner finds good advice on other issues on this forum.
7. Owner signs up and ask how to repair specific problem they have with their PT.
8. Forum members respond and provide advice and friendly (usually) conversation. Some members may not be so nice.
9. Owner takes advice and fixes PT.
10. Owner doesn't really like internet forums, so they don't come back.

I figure this happens several times every day on this forum. But look at it this way, of those many problem posters, a small percentage will come back. And some with become active members. Also, helping these problem poster helps us sharpen our own knowledge and skills.

So the way I see it, it's all good. Each of us decides to help, or we decide it's not worth it. It's that simple.

PS: Let me also say that telling a new member to use the search function is often going to be of very limited value. Because if that PT owner could have successfully found a solution to his or her problem using Google, they would have likely not signed up on this forum. Searching this forum or the internet in general is a talent in itself that not everyone was blessed with.
soyomb and buddyiramae like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Mar 2015 at 04:01 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC.ret View Post
I agree, but reading the replies can be a form of entertainment, like the tangent that went on about Generator vs Alternator. The op never came back probably because they was scared off..
Old 30 Mar 2015, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggydog View Post
I agree, but reading the replies can be a form of entertainment, like the tangent that went on about Generator vs Alternator. The op never came back probably because they was scared off..
Why on earth would they be scared off?
I think some forget their username...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Mar 2015, 06:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Perhaps they're so focused on the issue at hand they completely forget? I've been guilty of that a few times, but I usually stop back and post a final result