PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do you remove the mid motor mount bracket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2015, 05:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default How do you remove the mid motor mount bracket?

Alright, as some of you will know I'm changing a timing belt. However, for the life of me, I cannot get this heavy, large, oversized, hunk of metal out from between the timing belt cover, and the engine bay wall. Its either
  • Hitting the bracket by the strut (which I cannot access the one nut facing the headlight to remove)
  • Getting entangled with the power steering pump pully. (which I finally got it around, and no, the pump doesnt move after its disconnected with the hoses still attached. At least no movement beyond a half inch in either direction)
  • Hitting the timing belt cover. (Which cannot be removed without removing the bracket first.)
  • Or just banging up against the pulleys that the timing belt rides across. (Such as the idler or tensioner.)

Apart from either using a plasma cutter to get those nearly 4 inch bolt passages cut off, or lifting the entire engine out of the car itself, how do you actually remove this thing? I've had the engine up and down probably over 20 times trying to manuver it, wiggle it, or otherwise pursuade it into doing what I want. Every tutorial just says 'Remove motor mount bracket.' Which makes it sound like it takes 5 seconds and one pepsi. It doesnt, and I was curious if anyone had any clever ways of removing this. I've had the engine as high as it will go, no luck.

Thanks in advance to all who know anything.
Old 02 Apr 2015, 07:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How do you remove the mid motor mount bracket?

You have to remove the upper strut bracket completely from fender to give enough room. The power steering pump will move enough if you also remove the bracket (bolts to block and has long bolts that go through the pump into the mid engine plate) and you will have to jack engine up high enough to clear.

Also its best to remove/unbolt AC lines. Some will say you don't need to but you stand a chance of causing leaks due to stressing the lines. Then later if you need to replace the AC line that goes through the power steering pump bracket, Its almost as bad as doing the timing belt job.