PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone had this issue???...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2015, 02:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Anyone had this issue???...

My driver side visor, when flipped to block sun coming through my side window, swings out and hits me in the face when I make left turns! It doesn't matter whether I have it slid out and extended, or just flipped to the left. It doesn't matter whether I take the turn at a moderate speed or...more often...a fast speed. I am tired of this thing slapping me in the face while taking a turn, obviously it is loose in some way but I am not sure how you could tighten the swivel mechanism, has anyone else had to fix this issue? Any thoughts before it causes me to crash would be thoroughly appreciated! And, yes, I spent a half hour searching before posting, I found nothing but the search function seems a little, um, "special". Thanks

'03 Dream Cruiser Series 2, ATX, Bought Oct. '14 w/103,000 miles.

Added: Smoked Tail/Reverse lights, LED reverse bulbs, Black-Bezel headlights w/clear Lamin-x, 6000k HIDs, New fog lights with yellow Lamin-x, LED DRL strips, Chrome antenna bezel, Mopar mud flaps "PT Cruiser" painted tangerine, Chrome Mopar "PT Cruiser" front sill plates ($15!), Low profile wiper blades, Large winged hood badge, 3 hole washer nozzles, Small winged badges on fenders under "Cruiser", Front windows tinted to match rears, '01 folding side mirrors (still need to wire for heat), Cross-drilled rotors w/Hawk performance pads, Replaced steel spare w/aluminum, '01 rear sway bar, K&N CAI, Mopar sub, Cargo net, Inner front seat/glove box trim, Mopar all-weather mats, LED interior lighting, Driver seat drawer, Interior mat set for cup holders, etc., Brand new/never opened Mopar "PT Cruiser" roof rack ($75!), Glow-in-the-dark key fob, RB1 Nav radio, Mopar iPod integration...More to come.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone had this issue???...

My guess is you have to replace it.
Or try an automotive upholsterer.
Also try a junk yard or ebay maybe lucky to find the right color.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I agree that the search function leaves a lot to be desired. I, too, had a problem with my sun visor, and learned that whenever something like this occurs, your only choice is to seek a replacement. The reality is that these things were not very well made, and inside the "sealed" frame of the visor there are too many plastic parts with too much stress on them, and when they break (as they inevitably will), they can't be fixed. I just hope for your sake that yours is not the one with the Homelink remote inside, 'cause those are hard to find. Check with Bubba_1982, here on the forum.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

If you remove the visor (two screws using a star T20 wrench) you'll be able to inspect the inner pivot base of the visor. You'll probably find the pivot is plastic and is undoubtably cracked. From there you'll have diagnosed the problem and can decide if it can be glued with superglue or epoxy or has to be replaced. For the latter it's a great excuse to hit the junk yard. Don't forget to take the T20 wrench to the junk yard. good luck, ptprice
Old 04 Apr 2015, 05:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, I will take it off and have a look. I'd like to not have to replace it since I went through the trouble of installing an LED in it!!! I do NOT want to have to do that again!!!

Added: Smoked Tail/Reverse lights, LED reverse bulbs, Black-Bezel headlights w/clear Lamin-x, 6000k HIDs, New fog lights with yellow Lamin-x, LED DRL strips, Chrome antenna bezel, Mopar mud flaps "PT Cruiser" painted tangerine, Chrome Mopar "PT Cruiser" front sill plates ($15!), Low profile wiper blades, Large winged hood badge, 3 hole washer nozzles, Small winged badges on fenders under "Cruiser", Front windows tinted to match rears, '01 folding side mirrors (still need to wire for heat), Cross-drilled rotors w/Hawk performance pads, Replaced steel spare w/aluminum, '01 rear sway bar, K&N CAI, Mopar sub, Cargo net, Inner front seat/glove box trim, Mopar all-weather mats, LED interior lighting, Driver seat drawer, Interior mat set for cup holders, etc., Brand new/never opened Mopar "PT Cruiser" roof rack ($75!), Glow-in-the-dark key fob, RB1 Nav radio, Mopar iPod integration...More to come.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well I popped it out and took a look. Nothing appears cracked or broken. It just seems like the neck portion that's popped into the bezel portion that screws to the headliner, is a loose fit...maybe over time. I may try wrapping a zip-tie tightly around this portion, as it is not viewable anyway, and see if that gives a tighter hold on the thing. When I get the time that is!

Old 29 Jun 2015, 11:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OKAY! I think I found my fix!!! I will describe below and supply pictures...The problem with the PT visors is, one, the pivot point relies only on the friction of plastic to plastic, no metal spring in there for tension like most visors I have seen, and two, with the "sliding visor" where the whole thing slides back, you put a lot of weight way out on the arm, weakening the little tension there is even more.

As I think I stated before, I loved putting the first gen Intrepid visors into my 300M because you had the slide out portion as well as a separate visor to fold forward, letting you cover both side and front at the same time. I do not think there is an option for me to fit something like this into the PT, I have looked. BUT, I DID find that the first gen Neon visors will fit and they have a much stronger metal mount, frame, and arm, slide out feature, and classier lighted mirrors in my opinion. Also the bulb is much easier to replace on the Neon visor! Pictures and further explanation below....

Neon visor on top, PT on bottom. it is nice because the Neon visor is not quite as long top-bottom, so when you have it flipped down, it is a little easier to see stop lights than with the stock ones, and the color really is a close match even though some pictures may not look like it.

Backs, notice the metal spring in the Neon visor as opposed to just plastic on the PT, along with my sad attempt to tighten it with a red zip tie. This did nothing :/

PT visor slid out to the side

Neon visor to the side with slide out

Visors down..Neon on left, PT on right. You can see what I mean that the Neon visor is not as long from top-bottom

Down and pushed to windshield, better line of sight with Neon visor.

Showing slide out on Neon visor...it can go behind the mirror as you will see in a few pictures

Down with lit mirrors, I really hate the cheap plastic flap on the PT visor!!!

Final product with both Neon visors. It is nice to be able to have the sliders go behind the rear view mirror too!!

Now...just a couple of things. This visor set I got out of a '97 Dodge Neon. I noticed a lot of variation in Neons...some were lit and others not, some had sliders and others didn't, sometimes it was one with a light or slider and the other without. Plus a few color variations. So if you decide to do this you may have to hunt a bit, it is not just all first gen Neon visors.

The lighted Neon visor uses only one wire, yes one. It is for the positive connection. When you screw the visor to the body of the car, with the mount being metal, this is what grounds it.

No need to modify the vehicle wiring, just the visor wiring. Clip off the connector end on the Neon visor and have a connector ready from a donor PT visor from the junk yard. Figure out which wire on the PT connector is positive and which is negative...they are both black and I found that on one, the wire with the numbers on it was positive, but on the other connector it was the wire without the numbers on it, go figure!

Tape off the negative wire and connect the positives. All three screws that are already on each visor/clip in the PT are the same as for the Neon visor so no need for extra screws. You WILL need the visor clips from the Neon, as the thickness of the bar on the visors is different with the Neon's being thicker.

Screw the new clip on first, then the two screws on the visor. This can be awkward and doesn't seem to want to fit correctly and you will have to fidget with it and tweak it around but it will fit, just don't get frustrated!!!

Here is how the wiring on the visor should look

So, upon testing out taking corners, the new visor stays in place. The mirror looks better and is easier to replace the light in. Line of sight forward with the visors down is better. The sliders can go behind the rear view mirror for more sun blockage. I still don't have the double visor like in my 300M, and the fitment/movement of the Neon visors is a little tough to get right, but overall I am very pleased!

So...This may not be for everyone, BUT, if your visor swings and hits you in the head, or you just don't like the PT visors, or you like the look of what I have done here, I hope this helps at least one person out there!!! Enjoy!

Old 23 Jun 2016, 09:57 am
Senior Cruiser

Thank you, I want to do this also.

The sun gets through and is quite annoying with the PT visors. Also a pain to near impossible to change the bulb on the PT visors.

I'm curious what years will interchange? Bone yard, here I come!
Old 23 Jun 2016, 04:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
Thank you, I want to do this also.

The sun gets through and is quite annoying with the PT visors. Also a pain to near impossible to change the bulb on the PT visors.

I'm curious what years will interchange? Bone yard, here I come!

Glad you find this useful! Like I said somewhere in the post, I noticed a number of different visor types in the first gen Neons, like a LOT of different types, lighted, unlighted, mirror or no mirror, sometimes one side was a lighted mirror and the other just plain, like they just could not decide on one type. These that I settled on with the lighted mirrors with slide-outs were on a '97 Dodge Neon Coupe. Just search every first gen Neon until you find two of these.

Old 23 Jun 2016, 05:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oh man. I've had this problem with my visor since I got the PT and it never occurred to me to swap with the ones in my Neon. Too late now since I had to scrap the Neon when I moved. Too bad since I always appreciated that sliding blocker when I needed it.