PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Timing Belt

I have 51,000 miles on my 2007 GT. Mechanic reommended I replace timing belt because of age. Should it be replaced because the car is 8 years old? I thought it went by mileage 100,000 miles. Ed
Old 03 Apr 2015, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt

The owners manual calls for 120,000 miles for the timing belt but the recommendation from most is at the 100,000 mile mark. As far as time, the rubber compound that the timing belt is made of degenerates over time regardless of miles. Do yourself a favor and start looking for a good mechanic that's done the belt on a PT before. You have time to check around for a good place and price for the job. Water pump and belt tensioner shuld also be changed at the same time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 09:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The owners manual calls for 120,000 miles for the timing belt but the recommendation from most is at the 100,000 mile mark. As far as time, the rubber compound that the timing belt is made of degenerates over time regardless of miles. Do yourself a favor and start looking for a good mechanic that's done the belt on a PT before. You have time to check around for a good place and price for the job. Water pump and belt tensioner shuld also be changed at the same time.
The interval must vary by model year, the manual on my '06 recommends replacement at 90,000 miles. Maybe it was 120,000 miles on the earlier models, then they may have had some problems with that and decreased the recommendation?
Old 03 Apr 2015, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Also the kind of activity far as driving can affect the aging of the belt. If it sits for long periods without driving can aid the dry rotting of rubber. But if you drive it frequently although not that far. This will allow you to go much longer and keeps the belt in better shape.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2015, 11:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Other than literally looking at the belt to see if there is any wear, is there any performance issues that will help you determine when the timing belt is starting to get weak? I'd hate to see that the belt might be ok for another 20,000 miles and instead end up having it snap and leave me PT-less.

First-time owner of a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser (base model)! Loving it so far and I got it for a steal of a deal!
Old 06 Apr 2015, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edscrz View Post
I have 51,000 miles on my 2007 GT. Mechanic reommended I replace timing belt because of age. Should it be replaced because the car is 8 years old? I thought it went by mileage 100,000 miles. Ed
You can visually inspect a belt to see if it is bad, but you cannot confirm that one is good by visual inspection alone.

I have a 2005 with about 94,000 miles on it. I already have the new belt and all other necessary components including some custom-ground performance camshafts from NitroPT. But I feel fine waiting a little while longer before doing the job.

In the vast majority of cases reported, the timing belt will last over 100,000 miles before breaking. Most of the time, they last quite a bit longer than that. So I have fairly high confidence I will be okay to 100,000. Also, age can play a factor but usually doesn't. Again, I feel fine with my 10-year old belt for a short while longer. And while I hope to find time to do the job soon, I will continue to feel fine about the belt until I reach 100,000 miles.

Everyone has a different tolerance for risk and there is no guarantee, but I believe this is reasonable.
NitroPT and 3rcruiser like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Apr 2015 at 01:11 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have almost 64k on a 2004... I don't plan on changing it..but I am preparing and buying parts/tools...because it could happen any time..yeehaw
Old 07 Apr 2015, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Clint Eastwood said it best "Do you feel lucky"
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Jun 2015, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just blew the belt on my 01 Touring, I don't baby it and its got 181,000 miles on it. I'm looking into cams to go with the new belt.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptie View Post
I just blew the belt on my 01 Touring, I don't baby it and its got 181,000 miles on it. I'm looking into cams to go with the new belt.
If you weren't "babying it" when the belt blew, you might be looking for some valves to go along with the cams and the new belt.

Most owners are lucky and weren't at high revs when the belt went south but a few weren't so lucky.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.