Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New here. PT problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2015, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New here. PT problems

Hi..I'm new here. I am into older cars, so have always liked the retro look of the PTs. I have a friend who has a 2002 that belonged to his daughter. It hasn't been run for 3 years. She thought the water pump was bad, maybe got it hot and who knows what happened then. He told me to bring it home and if it was something I felt I could fix, he would sell it to me cheap. I started it up and filled it with water. Everything was kinda OK, but I could see it was leaking some around the front (left) of the engine and also the radiator. It never seemed to blow water out of the radiator. Heater worked fine. I put the radiator cap on tight and then problems began. Radiator really leaked bad, front engine leak got worse. Then I removed the cap and it was puking water out the top. I tried filling it, but it spit it out faster than I could pour it in. I'm supposing it is a cracked head or head gasket, but hate to pull it all apart. With the radiator leaking so bad and the other leak, it is hard to run it long enough to see what else might be wrong. Oil doesn't seem milky and it doesn't miss or smoke white. Could it just be air locked (along with the obvious leaks). I thought about buying a new radiator and starting from there, but if it is going to turn into an engine teardown, I might not get involved. Sorry for the long first post. Any help appreciated.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 07:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: New here. PT problems

I'm assuming you ran it for a while and it was running while the water was "puking out the top". This would be a classic symptom of a thermostat stuck closed. The water boils in the engine and that forces it out the radiator cap, the water then surges back into the engine and boils and surges out and again, and again, and again.

If it was run with a stuck thermostat, that could cause overheating and other serious problems, blown head gasket, warped head, cracked head / block, etc.

I'd fill the system cold and put a pressure tester on the radiator to get some pressure into the system. Then you may be able to more accurately determine where the leaks are. Checking for leaks would include removing the spark plugs and checking for coolant leakage into the cylinders. This would be critical because you could fill a cylinder with water, hydrolock the engine and do some real damage. Another area of concern would be the crankcase. The oil level should not change at all during the test. If it did that could indicate oil leakage into the crankcase.

Disclaimer, I'm not a mechanic, but did work on cars in my youth and still work on them occasionally.

Just some thoughts, it sounds like it could be a real project.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You may want to crank it over with all the spark plugs out and the radiator cap off. Then try a spark plug in each cylinder to see if one cylinder causes the coolant to over flow out.

I've had leaks before in the head gasket where there was a leak between the combustion pressure and the coolant it would shoot out water. No leak into the oil but it would shoot out coolant like Old Faithful when I got to the leaking cylinder.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tips. If there was water in the cylinders, I would think it would miss, smoke, or both. It doesnt. The pressure check is a great idea, but radiator leaks so bad,,, that would release any pressure. Maybe, a new thermostat would an inexpensive problem elimination test. Thanks.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets58 View Post
Thanks for the tips. If there was water in the cylinders, I would think it would miss, smoke, or both. It doesnt. The pressure check is a great idea, but radiator leaks so bad,,, that would release any pressure. Maybe, a new thermostat would an inexpensive problem elimination test. Thanks.

Replacing the thermostat is useless at this point.
You should do a test your coolant for exhaust gasses.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Apr 2015, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

I ran the pt longer yesterday and it did start to miss a little and puffed some white smoke. I am concerned on what condition the engine is in internally. What years, makes, model engines would be a direct fit for a 2002? I am not in a hurry and thought I could possibly find a beat donor with a good engine. Thanks again for the tips so far.
Old 05 Apr 2015, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

01 02 are the only years that the block is compatible. Might be good to go an alternative way. At least until you can find what you feel you need. This is easy to use and I have had no negative affects when useing. You have really nothing to loose here.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Apr 2015, 03:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets58 View Post
I ran the pt longer yesterday and it did start to miss a little and puffed some white smoke. I am concerned on what condition the engine is in internally. What years, makes, model engines would be a direct fit for a 2002? I am not in a hurry and thought I could possibly find a beat donor with a good engine. Thanks again for the tips so far.
Yep, you might find a donor car on your local craigslist. For your transplant you might want to stick with an '01-03 with the same transmission as yours.