PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
To replace a crank seal, or to hope its not leaking?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Default To replace a crank seal, or to hope its not leaking?

So I have this timing belt thing all torn apart, and thats fantastic. However I noticed a lot of black tar like residue around the crank pully, including above it, below it, on the oil pan, etc.. I never notice any oil puddles in my driveway, and there doesnt seem to be any active dripping. So its hard for me to tell if the crank is leaking or not. This would be helpful to know though, because if it is, now is a perfect time to replace it.

However I have no idea of what tools I need for this job, or how to use the tools I would need to begin with.

Any advice?

I'll get some pictures of it (be warned I did some cleaning so my hands wouldnt turn black)

Also I'm aware the timing mark is off, I plan to turn it back once I have it ready.

I'm already replacing the valve cover gasket (the old one fell right out and was completely saturated in oil.... looked like it may had been seeping around the edges too. The RTV was completely gone.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11100710_10155341840860702_1011166771_n.jpg (53.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 11120534_10155341840680702_2008273249_n.jpg (65.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 11111.jpg (88.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Flash619; 04 Apr 2015 at 09:21 am.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: To replace a crank seal, or to hope its not leaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
So I have this timing belt thing all torn apart, and thats fantastic. However I noticed a lot of black tar like residue around the crank pully, including above it, below it, on the oil pan, etc.. I never notice any oil puddles in my driveway, and there doesnt seem to be any active dripping. So its hard for me to tell if the crank is leaking or not. This would be helpful to know though, because if it is, now is a perfect time to replace it.

However I have no idea of what tools I need for this job, or how to use the tools I would need to begin with.

Any advice?

I'll get some pictures of it (be warned I did some cleaning so my hands wouldnt turn black)

Also I'm aware the timing mark is off, I plan to turn it back once I have it ready.

I'm already replacing the valve cover gasket (the old one fell right out and was completely saturated in oil.... looked like it may had been seeping around the edges too. The RTV was completely gone.)
I ran into the same thing. I replaced the crank and cam seals. It's the best time to do this. Better safe than sorry. Made my oun tools to do whatever I didn't have far as special tools. It's the same link I previously gave you.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I ran into the same thing. I replaced the crank and cam seals. It's the best time to do this. Better safe than sorry. Made my oun tools to do whatever I didn't have far as special tools. It's the same link I previously gave you.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
Thats nice but I dont have the resources to make special tools. I also dont have the proper tools to measure the distance from the block to the crank puley.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 10:02 am
Senior Cruiser

To clean the area I used two tea pots of boiling water poured down over the greasy area, no scrubbing was required.
Do this before removing the crank gear to avoid getting dirt / water in the crankcase.
Some PT Cruisers had cranks that had to much end play and were sliding back and forth causing leaks.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 04 Apr 2015, 10:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
To clean the area I used two tea pots of boiling water poured down over the greasy area, no scrubbing was required.
Do this before removing the crank gear to avoid getting dirt / water in the crankcase.
Some PT Cruisers had cranks that had to much end play and were sliding back and forth causing leaks.
O.O That sounds to be a pretty severe mistake on their end.... Also a potentially unfixable mistake.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
O.O That sounds to be a pretty severe mistake on their end.... Also a potentially unfixable mistake.
That problem was in newer models. Don't get excited. You would know if that was your problem. It pushes the crank seal out. Massive oil leak. You should check to see if you have a friend or relative to help you that has some mechanical experience. Just to be on the safe side.
You need only a peace of cardboard and a pencil to mark the length on the crank. A hack saw to cut a peace of PVC pipe or steal pipe to use as a push on tool. And some bolts, washers, and nut that can be had at a good fastener store. You are going to need something to put the Harmonic balancer back on with. The rest is standard universal tools needed to do this job. You don't want to be pounding the balancer back on the crank with a hammer.
JoeX likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 04 Apr 2015 at 10:25 am.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 12:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That problem was in newer models. Don't get excited. You would know if that was your problem. It pushes the crank seal out. Massive oil leak. You should check to see if you have a friend or relative to help you that has some mechanical experience. Just to be on the safe side.
You need only a peace of cardboard and a pencil to mark the length on the crank. A hack saw to cut a peace of PVC pipe or steal pipe to use as a push on tool. And some bolts, washers, and nut that can be had at a good fastener store. You are going to need something to put the Harmonic balancer back on with. The rest is standard universal tools needed to do this job. You don't want to be pounding the balancer back on the crank with a hammer.
So I looked it over and actually dont see any leaking..... not sure where it all came from. Perhaps oil was spilled once. That and all the bearings are shot on the tensioner, idler, and water pump, so it could be grease too. :|

On a plus, new belt on and timing is perfect
Old 04 Apr 2015, 01:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine looked like someone had used a grease gun to apply a neat smooth ring of grease around the crank shaft on the oil pump
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh