PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft Sprockets, torqued past 45 ft/lbs, but probably not 85?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2015, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Camshaft Sprockets, torqued past 45 ft/lbs, but probably not 85?

Alright, so my car is 90% back together, but I'm feeling a bit guilty. The camshaft sprockets are not fully torqued to 85 ft lbs. Let me give some explaination. I had the sprocket holder I had rented from an auto parts store. It fits into the cam teeth. The tool was actually bending, and the torque wrench still was not clicking. I know for fact that my initial torque on them was 45 ft/lbs, but I had to be applying at least 60 ft/lbs on the sprockets.

So my concern is this, what are the chances that this causes any issues, vs, nothing bad happening at all? I didnt want to break the tool since its a 129 dollar bill if I did. But now that everything is back together, I cant help but wonder, so I suppose I'm just digging for confidence here, but I look forward to all input.

I've heard of people never using a torque wrench on these things before, so I figure it cant be 'too bad'.

Also its notable that the bolts were not even turning anymore with the torque wrench when I finally stopped to avoid snapping the tool.

Last edited by Flash619; 04 Apr 2015 at 09:40 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft Sprockets, torqued past 45 ft/lbs, but probably not 85?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Alright, so my car is 90% back together, but I'm feeling a bit guilty. The camshaft sprockets are not fully torqued to 85 ft lbs. Let me give some explaination. I had the sprocket holder I had rented from an auto parts store. It fits into the cam teeth. The tool was actually bending, and the torque wrench still was not clicking. I know for fact that my initial torque on them was 45 ft/lbs, but I had to be applying at least 60 ft/lbs on the sprockets.

So my concern is this, what are the chances that this causes any issues, vs, nothing bad happening at all? I didnt want to break the tool since its a 129 dollar bill if I did. But now that everything is back together, I cant help but wonder, so I suppose I'm just digging for confidence here, but I look forward to all input.

I've heard of people never using a torque wrench on these things before, so I figure it cant be 'too bad'.
Also its notable that the bolts were not even turning anymore with the torque wrench when I finally stopped to avoid snapping the tool.
That torque is there for a reason. You can shear a line up pin on the camshaft. This will allow the cam to spin out of time inside the sprocket. A caution I gave you earlier.
But it's your risk not anyone's here. What would you have to do to fix this if it did? Just a thought.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Apr 2015, 11:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Just a thought, but I've had cheap torque wrenches not click. I've sheared off bolts waiting for that click. With the long handle on most wrenches it shouldn't be too hard to get 85 ft lbs.

Quote:

But growing on me
Old 05 Apr 2015, 06:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Vet View Post
Just a thought, but I've had cheap torque wrenches not click. I've sheared off bolts waiting for that click. With the long handle on most wrenches it shouldn't be too hard to get 85 ft lbs.
85lbs is hard to get on a moving target. If he didn't have that issue on smaller bolts he will have to assume that it is working. It's a pain in the butt to drill out that pin in the cam shaft.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2015, 08:16 am
Regular Cruiser

To fix it I would have to tear everything apart again from the engine mount up.

The target was not moving, it was the locking tool that was close to snapping. The bolt wasn't moving any further.

Last edited by Flash619; 05 Apr 2015 at 08:19 am.
Old 05 Apr 2015, 09:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Well, I tore everything apart on easter sunday morning, torqued them to 85 ft/lbs, and now am on re assembly. If I got down to the cam sprockets in under an hour do I get a prize?

I was only able to get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement at the handle. Still better safe than sorry.
Old 05 Apr 2015, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Well, I tore everything apart on easter sunday morning, torqued them to 85 ft/lbs, and now am on re assembly. If I got down to the cam sprockets in under an hour do I get a prize?

I was only able to get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement at the handle. Still better safe than sorry.
That's along way when torquing a bolt. I agree better safe than sorry.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2015, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That's along way when torquing a bolt. I agree better safe than sorry.
My only regret was that the upper belt cover broke, so now I get to wait for glue to setup. Oh well. Probably brittle with millage.

Does anyone have an 'easy' way of getting that upper strut back in? Pinwheeling that engine is a pain for one person lol.