Advertisements
Should I worry?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2015, 11:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Should I worry?

Ok, so my wife and I went to visit her grandparents for Easter and a couple things I have noticed about my PT that to me don't seem to be a huge deal, but I still am a bit concerned that they might be.

1) During my normal commutes I don't notice any suspension issues or any kind of wobbling or shimmying, yet when I pushed it past 70 mph it started to shimmy a little in the steering wheel. Is my suspension starting to go or do my tires need to be rotated, balanced, or replaced? The tire tread still looks fresh (maybe between 60 and 80% tread).

and 2) I've started to notice that whenever I start my PT after it has rested long enough for the engine to fully cool, that for the first minute it'll idle kinda rough to where I can feel a bit of a tremor or vibration (it isn't knocking, showing codes, or idling past where it should be at start). The engine isn't shaking too erratically to where it could be a motor mount issue, but it shakes enough to make me think that either the mounts are starting to go or that I should be concerned that something is wrong. What do you guys think it could be?

First-time owner of a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser (base model)! Loving it so far and I got it for a steal of a deal!
Old 06 Apr 2015, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Should I worry?

As to 1 - a balance/alignment is never a bad idea. You can also swap tires front to back first and see if that cures it.
I'd get a balance first, then an alignment, unless you got lifetime alignment it's about $70.

for 2 - how longs since plugs and wires were changed? Also couldn't hurt to throw a can of injector cleaner in.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2015, 10:02 am
Young Cruiser

1) I'm going to have to try those things. Thanks!
2) I am not sure. The guy who sold it to me said he had a tune up done almost a year ago, but thrn again I don't fully trust him because he never told me about the punctured radiator that my mechanic found when I purchased it. My mechanic did put fuel injector cleaner in when he serviced it but don't know about the condition of the spark plugs.

First-time owner of a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser (base model)! Loving it so far and I got it for a steal of a deal!
Old 06 Apr 2015, 10:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Premium fuel?
Old 06 Apr 2015, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToGo View Post
Premium fuel?
Not required and not designed to run it. I don't think that would help. The problem. Cleaning the iac along with the above mentioned items. May be worth doing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Apr 2015, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not required and not designed to run it. I don't think that would help. The problem. Cleaning the iac along with the above mentioned items. May be worth doing.
Agree. Premium fuel is actually harder to ignite - that's why it prevents "knocking", or pre-ignition in some high compression engines, or engines with carbon build-up..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles