PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about A/C Compressor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question about A/C Compressor

Well non story version:
If a Mechanic says its A/C compressor what is % he is right?

Story:
This isn't my car at all .. more like the Mother in-laws... I have been searching the web and stumbled on this forum... It is nice car imo but she and her sons are well ... (not brightest of the bunch) They asked me to be the mechanic on the son's car and did decent job and now I get the pleasure *sarcasm lol* to work on the mom's car...

Well she took it to her mechanic for a check up since A/c is not blowing cold... this mechanic is her buddy so to speak one that wont give her the run around saying she needs to fix this and this right away... just what she needs fixed. I never met him so this is what I heard. Well she didn't like the price of what he was giving her and she asked me what I can do... Knowing squat about PT cruisers besides the interesting look I decided to search see if the compressor could be the problem or is their something else I should tinker with.

As I know of the car I am not sure of any of the condition under the hood havent went over to look. But I read could be a switch, a fuse... (and something argues it isnt a fuse but the computer) and since I am curious before I rip out the compressor what does a guy that actually works on a cruiser would look at first?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your answers
Old 06 Apr 2015, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question about A/C Compressor

First things first. When you turn on the car and hit the A/C does the compressor come on at all? There should be a noticeable drop in revs for a second as the compressor comes on. If it's not coming on, the high and low side pressures have to be measured to see if you have enough R134a in the system. If it IS coming on, is the radiator fan running? You should be able to hear it and it should be running all the time the compressor is on. If not, there's a good bet that is your problem.

More than likely, the compressor is OK. Check the other things before shelling out for a new one.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Apr 2015, 09:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Question about A/C Compressor

The first cruisr I looked at, back in July of '14 ... I turned on the a/c bc of the July heat. The compressor was not kicking in. The finance guy sent it off to the local chrysler dealer (this was at a chevy dealer, they wanted to troubleshoot it, but I said no, I wanted the job done right... Lol) anyways I just thought I'd share this possibility w you. In this car, not only was the compressor was bAd, but the WHOLE A/C SYSTEM was bad. Plus some other major stuff. What CREWZIN said. ID have it checked out by a CErtified Chrysler dealership. That would be the best option, BUT, ONLY IF you can't self- trouble shoot the problem