Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to reinstall harmonic balancer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2015, 06:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default How to reinstall harmonic balancer?

Ok, so I have the harmonic balancer removed, but I cant, for the life of me, find a bolt in any kit made by mankind that is long enough to reach the internal threads in the crankshaft. I went to Festenal and even they cant get me a bolt thats much longer than the original, so I have to ask, how does one actually get this thing back together aside from a block of wood and a rubber mallet? I dont very much feel like using that method given it can cause damage to components so whats my alternative?

I have two bolts on order that are M12 1.75x170P and I'm really hoping thats long enough. ><

Last edited by Flash619; 09 Apr 2015 at 07:05 pm.
Old 09 Apr 2015, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to reinstall harmonic balancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Ok, so I have the harmonic balancer removed, but I cant, for the life of me, find a bolt in any kit made by mankind that is long enough to reach the internal threads in the crankshaft. I went to Festenal and even they cant get me a bolt thats much longer than the original, so I have to ask, how does one actually get this thing back together aside from a block of wood and a rubber mallet? I dont very much feel like using that method given it can cause damage to components so whats my alternative?
Wow, did you read the link I keep posting for you. All this is covered. Including a part number and size for that bolt I used from fasenall. This was done so others could do this easier and with less special tools. But you have to look at and read it to take advantage of it.

You might want to get a nut and a flat washer to while your at it. That person at the fastenal doesn't know he product very well. I did have to order it and took a day to get it.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Apr 2015, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That will work. 10.9 M12 - 1.75X140P . Is what I used. And the directions how to use it in there to.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Apr 2015, 08:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That will work. 10.9 M12 - 1.75X140P . Is what I used. And the directions how to use it in there to.
I totally didn't realize that you had listed the size of the bolt used to get it back into place. ^-^;; whoooopsie.

What are the chances of the force of the bolt pulling the pulley into place, ripping the threads from the crankshaft?

How do you torque the bolt to 100 ft/lbs when it turns? ^^;
Old 09 Apr 2015, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I totally didn't realize that you had listed the size of the bolt used to get it back into place. ^-^;; whoooopsie.

What are the chances of the force of the bolt pulling the pulley into place, ripping the threads from the crankshaft?

How do you torque the bolt to 100 ft/lbs when it turns? ^^;
None if you follow the instructions.

Use a bar of some type through the hole in the pulley and foul it against some thing solid on the engine while torquing the bolt.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Apr 2015, 07:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:

Use a bar of some type through the hole in the pulley and foul it against some thing solid on the engine while torquing the bolt.
Can the oil pan lip support 100 ft/lbs of force against it?
Old 10 Apr 2015, 01:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:

How much force does it take to get the harmonic balancer on? They were only able to get me a medium grade bolt (not 10.9).

Just in case, I ordered one of these myself, since the people who work behind the desk apparently cant review their own inventory.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0122026

Expedited for next day shipping, its a 67 dollar bolt, but frankly, I need this project to be finished by Tuesday.

Last edited by Flash619; 10 Apr 2015 at 02:17 pm.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
How much force does it take to get the harmonic balancer on? They were only able to get me a medium grade bolt (not 10.9).

Just in case, I ordered one of these myself, since the people who work behind the desk apparently cant review their own inventory.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0122026

Expedited for next day shipping, its a 67 dollar bolt, but frankly, I need this project to be finished by Tuesday.
The one you have will be fine. Run the nut up on the bolt and a washer and thread it into the crank until it bottoms out. Hold the bolt with a wrench. And crank the nut down on the balancer until it pushes it all the way on. Wipe the inside of the balancer with oil or grease before you start. A little goes a long way.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Apr 2015, 11:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
The one you have will be fine. Run the nut up on the bolt and a washer and thread it into the crank until it bottoms out. Hold the bolt with a wrench. And crank the nut down on the balancer until it pushes it all the way on. Wipe the inside of the balancer with oil or grease before you start. A little goes a long way.
Nothing I can really do since the order is already shipped. And it looks like I won't be reinstalling it as soon as expected anyways with these timing mark issues.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Nothing I can really do since the order is already shipped. And it looks like I won't be reinstalling it as soon as expected anyways with these timing mark issues.
Post up some shots like I have in that help thread. That way we can see what trouble your having, If any. Will need good angled shots to see the marks line up on both top and bottom.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com