Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door latch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2015, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door latch

Hello! I have a 2007 PT that I had parked for the winter. Now, one rear door latch will not engage, so, it doesn't close. The other rear door won't open, even though its unlocked. Could it be that the latches are bad? Are these easy to replace? Is there a way to open this door?
Old 11 Apr 2015, 06:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Door latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd4life View Post
Hello! I have a 2007 PT that I had parked for the winter. Now, one rear door latch will not engage, so, it doesn't close. The other rear door won't open, even though its unlocked. Could it be that the latches are bad? Are these easy to replace? Is there a way to open this door?
On the door that won't close, spay some WD-40 like substance on the latch & push it by hand till it closes...then pull the handle to see if it re-opens...do this a few times.
On the door that won't open...does the door lock & unlock with the fob..??
Have you tried the handles from both the inside & outside..??

I'd have to check my car to see if the door panel is removable or not with it shut, it might be you only option.

EDIT: I just looked at my car & it does seem possible. My back seats are out, so looking from that point & where the seats should be...I'd say you'll have to remove them using the door that does open.
I don't think you can remove the panel without breaking a few clips, but they are replaceable.
What I would do after removing the door panel screws is start at the corner that the handle is on...pulling out & up working my way down towards the bottom. Then I would try to lift the panel over the lock pin/pull...then try to unhook the handle from the locking bar. From there it is just trying to pry out the 2 clips holding the rear part of the panel. Once that is done, you should be able to pull the locking bar to flip the latch...you might even be able to reach around the panel & do it without removing the rear part of the panel.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 11 Apr 2015 at 07:13 pm.