Advertisements
temp lowering

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Probedude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool temp lowering

So I go get taxes done to day and on my way there on the freeway I notice my temp gauge going lower!? What the ???
Old 11 Apr 2015, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool temp lowering??

Driving a short time on freeway today and I notice my temp gauge is lowering ! What the hell is that? What should I do? and Can i still drive it??
Old 11 Apr 2015, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: temp lowering

It is possible your thermostat has gone/is going. Usually thermostats fail and close and cause overheating, they can go open and not allow full warming up.
OR - when engine is cold. take off radiator cap and look in, if level is low, that is your problem - air is a poorer conductor than water and you're getting a false reading.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Apr 2015, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your coolant level is low you need to find out why you are loosing coolant. Recently I went to look at buying another PT Cruiser and found out that the owner had driven it without coolant by asking certain questions. He said the temperature gauge never got hot but the engine shut down. I looked at the bottom of the engine,etc and I could see indications it had overheated. Always keep your eyes on the temperature gauge and if it ever goes above or lower than the normal range you check everything in the coolant system. Never assume your gauges are telling you everything. I always check my PT Cruisers for low engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and look at the tires for low air twice a week. This only takes 5 minutes each time and can save you a tremendous amount of dollars and your spare time if you do the work yourself.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 12:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Was the car cold and warming up or completely and fully warmed up when this happened?

Our PT does the same thing during the initial warm up. It's more obvious with my Ultragage hooked up.

Really simple reason - t-stat opens up and now all the cold water in the radiator and radiator hoses can travel into the engine. It hits the t-stat, lowering the temp and closing it and you see it on the gauge. Completely normal.
JoeX and buddyiramae like this.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 13 Apr 2015, 09:54 am
Cool Cruiser

If the car is getting cooler, and I assume not in a normal way Then your thermostat is sticking open or your guage / sensor is bad.

Pull the thermostat and see if it is fully closed. Then boil it in water and check if it opens. If it is old just put a new one in. Get a good one. Make sure you replace the gastket.

Good Luck

Mike