Advertisements
irs

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2015, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default irs

Has anyone successfully replaced the beam axle with dodge neon irs? My 2003 drives like a lumber wagon and corners like a hippo is strapped to the roof.
I know replacing the struts and shocks will help but I want to make it better. Since the pt cruiser is based on the dodge neon platform, is the rear suspension interchangeable? I hope that I'm not the only one to dream of a irs equipped pt
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinept View Post
Has anyone successfully replaced the beam axle with dodge neon irs? My 2003 drives like a lumber wagon and corners like a hippo is strapped to the roof.
I know replacing the struts and shocks will help but I want to make it better. Since the pt cruiser is based on the dodge neon platform, is the rear suspension interchangeable? I hope that I'm not the only one to dream of a irs equipped pt
I think the SRT has independent rear. So not a a swap parts thing. It is a 3200 lb hippo. A sway bar will help with the roll some but aggravate the ride issue. Tires and psi rating will have a huge impact on ride. Runflat tires are hard riding as well. Low profile is not good for ride comfort either. But I find my ride good for a vehicle of its size. If the pt has been lowered then the springs used could adversely affect the ride.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 13 Apr 2015 at 08:02 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: irs

Car's in general for decades did not have Independent Rear Axles and did very well on tracks in the handling end of the drive.

Maybe some having trouble driving a PT like say for instances a Porsche it would be wiser to buy a Porsche. Taking some classes on how to drive a car fast to learn some better driving techniques will also help dramatically.

A Careful plan of action to improve the suspension using the OE design and losing unsprung weight can have a large impact of improvement on a cars handling capabilities.

You need not do a complete rear end change to get some impressive improvements.

Good luck with the IRS conversion!
Handy_Cruiser and JoeX like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Apr 2015 at 01:30 pm.