PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
One annoyance

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2015, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default One annoyance

Loving the PT except for 1 thing. It has the turning radius of an 18 wheeler. I guess I am spoiled as the everyday car is a 2013 Grand Cherokee that has one of the smallest turn radius around considering it's size. Learned how to drive on Plymouth Boats so used to sway but even the old Fury3 and grand fury turned better than the Vert. Or is it just me?
Old 13 Apr 2015, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: One annoyance

I've owned two PT's and both had quite tight turning radii.

You might check to see if your PT turns tighter in one direction than in the other. If so, you may have a bad alignment.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 09:30 pm
Young Cruiser

He is correct, the PT Cruiser has the widest turning radius of any car I have driven so far. You just log it in your mind and drive, turn and park accordingly.
thecabinguy and LionPT like this.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PT is a 2006 but only has 9000 miles on it, New tires fresh alignment it just reminds me of the boats I drove back in the day especially compared to the everyday car.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 09:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC.ret View Post
He is correct, the PT Cruiser has the widest turning radius of any car I have driven so far. You just log it in your mind and drive, turn and park accordingly.

Start backing up into all the parking spaces...it's a lot easier than pulling in forward, unless it's at an angle.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Apr 2015, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: One annoyance

It the GT model that hasa wider turning radius.
My na isn't too bad, compared to the turbo.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 13 Apr 2015, 10:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Bad here too - 2001 PT. Most u-turns have to be 3 pt. Really annoying.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yep, huge turning radius. Just the way it's designed. I had the same gripe about my Stratus R/T Coupe. Sporty looking car with the turning radius of a '70's Cadillac. Just depends on how they package the front end. My 300M Special has a much tighter turning radius than the PT or the Stratus R/T coupe, it is kinda funny. Does the below picture look like it should have an awful turning radius?! It was worse than the PT by far!

'03 Dream Cruiser Series 2, ATX, Bought Oct. '14 w/103,000 miles.

Added: Smoked Tail/Reverse lights, LED reverse bulbs, Black-Bezel headlights w/clear Lamin-x, 6000k HIDs, New fog lights with yellow Lamin-x, LED DRL strips, Chrome antenna bezel, Mopar mud flaps "PT Cruiser" painted tangerine, Chrome Mopar "PT Cruiser" front sill plates ($15!), Low profile wiper blades, Large winged hood badge, 3 hole washer nozzles, Small winged badges on fenders under "Cruiser", Front windows tinted to match rears, '01 folding side mirrors (still need to wire for heat), Cross-drilled rotors w/Hawk performance pads, Replaced steel spare w/aluminum, '01 rear sway bar, K&N CAI, Mopar sub, Cargo net, Inner front seat/glove box trim, Mopar all-weather mats, LED interior lighting, Driver seat drawer, Interior mat set for cup holders, etc., Brand new/never opened Mopar "PT Cruiser" roof rack ($75!), Glow-in-the-dark key fob, RB1 Nav radio, Mopar iPod integration...More to come.
Old 14 Apr 2015, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Belonging to more than one vehicle platform I find it amusing when on forums there is a complaint about the vehicles turning radius?

It makes me wonder how so many get by day to day just simply driving their vehicle.

It is a matter of knowing and learning the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving and adjusting for different needs. i.e. how much it takes to make a successful 180 degree turn.

I would never go flying in a small plane without first asking everyone weight and doing my rate of claim tables. Nor would I attempt to make a u-turn if the radius required was to short for the vehicle I was driving? Both could have really bad end results.

I (we=wife) just recently picked up a 09 MINI. I went to a large parking lot and gave my wife lessens in driving the newest addition to the household.

This included parallel parking, stop starts, moderate and hard accelerations and braking and.....U-TURN capabilities!

Some day getting a driving licence will be more in line with getting a Pilots license! It will not be easy as a simple 30 word multiple choice test and a ride along with a grumpy DMV employee! You will actually need to demonstrate some actual driving skills before getting the licence!!!!!!
buddyiramae likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Apr 2015, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Belonging to more than one vehicle platform I find it amusing when on forums there is a complaint about the vehicles turning radius?

It makes me wonder how so many get by day to day just simply driving their vehicle.

It is a matter of knowing and learning the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving and adjusting for different needs. i.e. how much it takes to make a successful 180 degree turn.

I would never go flying in a small plane without first asking everyone weight and doing my rate of claim tables. Nor would I attempt to make a u-turn if the radius required was to short for the vehicle I was driving? Both could have really bad end results.

I (we=wife) just recently picked up a 09 MINI. I went to a large parking lot and gave my wife lessens in driving the newest addition to the household.

This included parallel parking, stop starts, moderate and hard accelerations and braking and.....U-TURN capabilities!

Some day getting a driving licence will be more in line with getting a Pilots license! It will not be easy as a simple 30 word multiple choice test and a ride along with a grumpy DMV employee! You will actually need to demonstrate some actual driving skills before getting the licence!!!!!!

Well I 100% agree but here in Missouri I think they will pass anything that is breathing
When i went for my CDL the guy in frount of me told the lady I cant read the test some one will ahve to read it to me????I am not in any way making this up
I was sitting next to them and the lady actually read and EXPLAINED WHAT EACH QUESTION MENT

That is simply WRONG btu he passed so now we get to share thr streets with a guy who cant read

Back on the turning radius my 06 na is a little wider than i would like it to be but its way less than my 04 Silverado 2500 and I have just klearned give yourself plenty of room