PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 08:21 am
Flash619's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kiel, WI USA
Posts: 177
Default 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Hello all, so I recently tore my lift gate handle off the back hatch because rust was building up behind it. (not sure how or why but the one stud was completely rusted out of the lift gate handle!) After fixing the paint/metal behind it, I've re attached a new lift gate handle with standard decal adhesive (and the two studs that go through the lift gate).

My question is this, I know originally they used strong double sided adhesive (which I couldn't find anywhere), so will the standard decal adhesive work as well? My only worry in the world is the stud rusting out again. :/

And now I'm thinking of sanding the entire hatch down to metal below the groove and repainting because its difficult blending the old/new paint and it may be less noticeable if done that way. If I had money I'd just have a pro repaint the entire back hatch, but I'm saving up my 800 dollars to get the rockers cut/welded.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 08:58 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Hello all, so I recently tore my lift gate handle off the back hatch because rust was building up behind it. (not sure how or why but the one stud was completely rusted out of the lift gate handle!) After fixing the paint/metal behind it, I've re attached a new lift gate handle with standard decal adhesive (and the two studs that go through the lift gate).

My question is this, I know originally they used strong double sided adhesive (which I couldn't find anywhere), so will the standard decal adhesive work as well? My only worry in the world is the stud rusting out again. :/

And now I'm thinking of sanding the entire hatch down to metal below the groove and repainting because its difficult blending the old/new paint and it may be less noticeable if done that way. If I had money I'd just have a pro repaint the entire back hatch, but I'm saving up my 800 dollars to get the rockers cut/welded.
I don't know you capabilities are as a body and paint person. Or your equipment. But I use a DA and feather edge the paint. Then use a direct to metal high fill primmer. Three coats and then dust on a guide coat(usually a contrasting spraycan color). Just a dusting. Then block sand and reprime if necessary and block again.

Talk to rob342 on the tape for the hatch handle. He has the number of what to buy.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:00 am
Flash619's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kiel, WI USA
Posts: 177
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I don't know you capabilities are as a body and paint person. Or your equipment. But I use a DA and feather edge the paint. Then use a direct to metal high fill primmer. Three coats and then dust on a guide coat(usually a contrasting spraycan color). Just a dusting. Then block sand and reprime if necessary and block again.

Talk to rob342 on the tape for the hatch handle. He has the number of what to buy.
Well the hatch lever is already glued on so umnnnn... pull it off? And by glue I mean that clear decal adhesive that did a lovely job of getting all over my new paint. -_-''' So I'd have to pull it, and then sand the back of the lever to get the stuff off. Thats what I get for taking advice from the guy at the car place.

Do you have to buy the sticky tape from Chrysler? Will the glue hold a few weeks until I can get the tape? (hopefully without rusting??)

By DA what do you mean? Can you explain what a guide coat is? Or rather, maybe a guide on how to use a guide coat? ^^;;; I'll admit I'm not a complete noob to painting, but painting on cars is very new to me, so I'm hoping to learn. (besides it cant get worst than the terrible blend job it already has ^^;;; as long as there's no rust I'm happy.) Who knows maybe 5 years from now I'll get it completely repainted anyways, idk, until then, I need a fix

Last edited by Flash619; 15 Apr 2015 at 09:14 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:29 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Well the hatch lever is already glued on so umnnnn... pull it off? And by glue I mean that clear decal adhesive that did a lovely job of getting all over my new paint. -_-''' So I'd have to pull it, and then sand the back of the lever to get the stuff off. Thats what I get for taking advice from the guy at the car place.

By DA what do you mean? Can you explain what a guide coat is? Or rather, maybe a guide on how to use a guide coat? ^^;;;
First that stuff is junk. Discovered that back in the 70's. I was very young at the time lol. Any way the guide coat is just a light dusting of a contrasting color spray over the primed area. You don't need any full coverage. Just an visable over spray. You then block sand the it off. You want to block sand in a crosshatch pattern to be sure your getting it straight in all directions. Low areas and pits will retain some of the guide coat. If you sand to the point that you begin to remove to much primer over that area and still have areas with guide coat showing. It may be necessary to reprime and guide coat again. If you block all the guide coat off and only have a a few bare places just reprime and sand for finish coat. This helps you get the surface flat and helps you to see the low areas as you go.

The first 9 pages show some body work and a example of the guide coat in use. There is more but that should get you going on that question you asked. Things are spread out all through the thread.

Busted_PT project 1
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:35 am
Flash619's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kiel, WI USA
Posts: 177
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
First that stuff is junk. Discovered that back in the 70's. I was very young at the time lol. Any way the guide coat is just a light dusting of a contrasting color spray over the primed area. You don't need any full coverage. Just an visable over spray. You then block sand the it off. You want to block sand in a crosshatch pattern to be sure your getting it straight in all directions. Low areas and pits will retain some of the guide coat. If you sand to the point that you begin to remove to much primer over that area and still have areas with guide coat showing. It may be necessary to reprime and guide coat again. If you block all the guide coat off and only have a a few bare places just reprime and sand for finish coat. This helps you get the surface flat and helps you to see the low areas as you go.

The first 9 pages show some body work and a example of the guide coat in use. There is more but that should get you going on that question you asked. Things are spread out all through the thread.

Busted_PT project 1
Do you have any recommendations for rust with the frame itself? I have no bad rust, but I've noticed my control arms have peeling paint, and my suspension support crossmemember on the passenger side (where the torque strut connects) has peeling paint and light surface rust starting. :/ (want this car to stay good and not die.)(The rust belt sucks.)

Is it better to try to blend the paint on the hatch with the old stuff? Or just draw a line somewhere? Whenever I use lines from tape or something, theres always a ridge where the new paint sticks up higher. ><

Last edited by Flash619; 15 Apr 2015 at 09:41 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:47 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Do you have any recommendations for rust with the frame itself? I have no bad rust, but I've noticed my control arms have peeling paint, and my suspension support crossmemember on the passenger side (where the torque strut connects) has peeling paint and light surface rust starting. :/ (want this car to stay good and not die.)(The rust belt sucks.)
Not sure were your from but feel your pain. I would get a 3m stripper wheel attachment for your drill and bust off the rust and pealing powder coat and use some rustoleum primer and paint. You can get it in semigloss and will look great when your done. This will slow the rust down a ton. Just keep it wash out under there from now on. That the best you can do. Thats why I like a manual car wash or pressure washer. Spraying underneath is as important as the out side.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ubq8EuOPg6iwvA
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:48 am
Flash619's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kiel, WI USA
Posts: 177
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not sure were your from but feel your pain. I would get a 3m stripper wheel attachment for your drill and bust off the rust and pealing powder coat and use some rustoleum primer and paint. You can get it in semigloss and will look great when your done. This will slow the rust down a ton. Just keep it wash out under there from now on. That the best you can do. Thats why I like a manual car wash or pressure washer. Spraying underneath is as important as the out side.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ubq8EuOPg6iwvA
What about rubberized undercoating?

Slowing it down? What about just plain out stopping it? I understand rust is a constant battle. lol I'm in eastern Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 10:05 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
What about rubberized undercoating?

Slowing it down? What about just plain out stopping it? I understand rust is a constant battle. lol I'm in eastern Wisconsin.
Undercoating over what you have will only seal in the rust along with the oxygen to feed it under there. You need to remove as mush as you can and treat it with products designed to keep it under control. Your in the worst areas all right for that for sure. The better you clean it off the longer you will have. But short of parking it in the winter in the garage. Your not going to stop it. But you can greatly prolong it with the effort your willing to make and proper cleaning and repairs. Anything that simply covers it up is not something that will make it go away. Most actually accelerate it. You might put some undercoat on after the fix. But you can periodically spray more paint on as you think it needs done. And see what is going on. Something you may not be able to see with the undercoat over it.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 10:27 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: san Diego
Posts: 316
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

undercoating works fine if you first get rid of all rust then coat it...auto armor cars for years back east...if it wasn't for that stuff a lot of my friends cars would be a rusty mess..that POR 15 stuff kicks ass too..hard as hell tough coating...used gallons of that stuff restoring old cars
__________________
first 4 cylinder,it sure aint no 8....2004 2.4 base pt 5 speed manual.live wires,screeming demon coil, stage 1jet chip,strut tower bar,airraid setup..nothing fancy...NO TURBO
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2015, 10:49 am
Flash619's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kiel, WI USA
Posts: 177
Default Re: 03 Lift Gate Handle Rust Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Undercoating over what you have will only seal in the rust along with the oxygen to feed it under there. You need to remove as mush as you can and treat it with products designed to keep it under control. Your in the worst areas all right for that for sure. The better you clean it off the longer you will have. But short of parking it in the winter in the garage. Your not going to stop it. But you can greatly prolong it with the effort your willing to make and proper cleaning and repairs. Anything that simply covers it up is not something that will make it go away. Most actually accelerate it. You might put some undercoat on after the fix. But you can periodically spray more paint on as you think it needs done. And see what is going on. Something you may not be able to see with the undercoat over it.
True, but what I mean, is is it possible to keep the metal from decaying to nothing over time? I mean, if you keep the rust down to a minimum, will it prevent eventual structural damage/having to cut and weld frame pieces?

I meant use the undercoat after the rust was removed. But would undercoating, or rustoleum be better?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
01 lift gate hatch handle jessica7137 Classifieds: Want To Buy 5 12 Jul 2011 08:44 am
Lift Gate Handle w/ Touch Pad 05silverGT Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 1 02 May 2011 11:05 am
Need a 2001 Lift gate Handle invtmf Classifieds: Want To Buy 1 03 Mar 2011 06:07 pm
Lift gate problem decals_by_jt Tech & Performance Forum 3 04 Oct 2010 10:13 am
Rear lift gate saldagus Tech & Performance Forum 0 07 Sep 2009 08:38 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors