Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2018, 11:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Low compression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
I'm Bat Man

Actually I was intending on posting in the new member area but didn't get a chance.

I have 4 + decades around the auto repair arena. I've always looked at auto repair from an engineering perspective not " I've tested this part according to the book, have replaced it but don't know why it caused the car to operate improperly. " or " Those %$#@Q$@^ engineers don't put every part clearly in the open so I can change it in 5 min because they want work to go back to the dealer. "

When I had my shop , I was the go to shop for complex problems. My breadth and depth of knowledge isn't typically found in an auto shop. Many of my customers were engineers from a Govt research facility that were happy to have someone talking engineer to them.

Being an auto mechanic beats your body up. It's the low end car owners that beat you up mentally. These are a few of the reasons I got out of the business. It's no wonder some shops develop an " I don't care " attitude and blatantly sell unneeded parts.

My experience also extends to industry since parts are parts more or less, just a different shape. Working in industry, the pay is easily 2x of an auto mechanic , working conditions better and degree of difficulty somewhat less.

Why am I here?

My goal was to gather PT specific info. I keep posting because I am able to contribute decades of general technical information.

As with any list, some incorrect / incomplete information seeps in, letting it stand does no one any good, this drives the detailed information I post.

I also stand up for those being attacked without the ability to defend themselves. ( Blanket statements about businesses / people. ) Auto mechanics have a very difficult job that few car owners can truly appreciate.

Most of the shops I've talked to over the years continue to be auto mechanics because they truly like what they are doing not because it has a chance of making them rich. For many, it's a job they created for themselves.

If someone wants to counter my very detailed postings on a technical level that is fine, just provide the same level of facts and I'll accept them.

If enough people feel I should be banned, have at it and I'll never return under any screen name. However, all of my posts need to be deleted as part of the bargain.
I'm open minded. I've been "tinkering" with cars and all types of small engines for over 45 years. I'm not an ASE Certified Mechanic, so I'm not so arrogant nor presumptive enough to think that I know everything about cars, mowers, tractors, etc. that I can't learn something new. I enjoy reading your posts and would like to think I've learned a thing or two from them. Whether or not I retain them is another story! But personally, I hope you stick around because I think you have good things to offer.
Tuggajb likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 08 Feb 2018, 12:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

thank you for the reply. it's "happier" than i expected since mine sounded kinda "dickish"

Old 08 Feb 2018, 04:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm trying to be a politician, Rob. LMAO

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 08 Feb 2018, 04:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

not you.

sheesh.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 04:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
I'm Bat Man

Actually I was intending on posting in the new member area but didn't get a chance.

I have 4 + decades around the auto repair arena. I've always looked at auto repair from an engineering perspective not " I've tested this part according to the book, have replaced it but don't know why it caused the car to operate improperly. " or " Those %$#@Q$@^ engineers don't put every part clearly in the open so I can change it in 5 min because they want work to go back to the dealer. "

When I had my shop , I was the go to shop for complex problems. My breadth and depth of knowledge isn't typically found in an auto shop. Many of my customers were engineers from a Govt research facility that were happy to have someone talking engineer to them.

Being an auto mechanic beats your body up. It's the low end car owners that beat you up mentally. These are a few of the reasons I got out of the business. It's no wonder some shops develop an " I don't care " attitude and blatantly sell unneeded parts.

My experience also extends to industry since parts are parts more or less, just a different shape. Working in industry, the pay is easily 2x of an auto mechanic , working conditions better and degree of difficulty somewhat less.

Why am I here?

My goal was to gather PT specific info. I keep posting because I am able to contribute decades of general technical information.

As with any list, some incorrect / incomplete information seeps in, letting it stand does no one any good, this drives the detailed information I post.

I also stand up for those being attacked without the ability to defend themselves. ( Blanket statements about businesses / people. ) Auto mechanics have a very difficult job that few car owners can truly appreciate.

Most of the shops I've talked to over the years continue to be auto mechanics because they truly like what they are doing not because it has a chance of making them rich. For many, it's a job they created for themselves.

If someone wants to counter my very detailed postings on a technical level that is fine, just provide the same level of facts and I'll accept them.

If enough people feel I should be banned, have at it and I'll never return under any screen name. However, all of my posts need to be deleted as part of the bargain.
It is nice that you want to help here on the forum. Knowledgable people are welcome. But my advice is to change your formula for posting.

The arrogant attitude really is tiring. We already have an arrogant, 40 year auto mechanic veteran, engineer wannabe with a god complex and who's poop doesn't stink, here on the forum. The never wrong atitude with the back peddling when someone corrects him is especially tiring. It is a formula that only causes friction, since many of us mere mortals believe we have something we can share too.

Welcome aboard.
Old 10 Feb 2018, 02:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
It is nice that you want to help here on the forum. Knowledgable people are welcome. But my advice is to change your formula for posting.

The arrogant attitude really is tiring. We already have an arrogant, 40 year auto mechanic veteran, engineer wannabe with a god complex and who's poop doesn't stink, here on the forum. The never wrong atitude with the back peddling when someone corrects him is especially tiring. It is a formula that only causes friction, since many of us mere mortals believe we have something we can share too.

Welcome aboard.
+1 on the bold part, and not directed towards 06_PB6_TOURING, but I think we all know who could benefit from this statement.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Jun 2018, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ummmmm. First, kudos to Rob for cleaning up a pretty "dickish" post himself. Very nice to clean that up on his own. Takes a man to do that. Second, SOOO glad "Batman" is here. I can use your info and don't really care or have the time to detail it if I did care how you live your life even if you are nailing my sister or whatever. That's between you and her. Thanks for your "free here" but very very expensive "everywhere else" learned knowledge and experiences that your history and qualifications provide all the rest of us. Sometimes one comment from a knowledgeable person can save someone else a thousand dollars.There are probably only two kinds of people here. People that know stuff and people that want to learn that same stuff and we are all mixed in there from one extreme or the other. Please no drama.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCruisersOldGuy View Post
Ummmmm. First, kudos to Rob for cleaning up a pretty "dickish" post himself. Very nice to clean that up on his own. Takes a man to do that. Second, SOOO glad "Batman" is here. I can use your info and don't really care or have the time to detail it if I did care how you live your life even if you are nailing my sister or whatever. That's between you and her. Thanks for your "free here" but very very expensive "everywhere else" learned knowledge and experiences that your history and qualifications provide all the rest of us. Sometimes one comment from a knowledgeable person can save someone else a thousand dollars.There are probably only two kinds of people here. People that know stuff and people that want to learn that same stuff and we are all mixed in there from one extreme or the other. Please no drama.
He has not posted since March 14, 2018.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
He has not posted since March 14, 2018.
Trouble in Gotham?
devindinapoli likes this.

Tags
compression, rough idle