Advertisements
Low compression?

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2015, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Low compression?

Hi, all.

First time posting. I have a 2004 PT cruiser 2.4L with 110K.

My car has been idling VERY rough for the past month or so, and had a flashing check engine light when idling. Code is P0300 and P0304. I had work done on it, first they thought it was spark plugs. Wrong. Then they thought it was the ignition coil. Wrong again. They now think I have to get my head gasket replaced or overall my whole engine. They said my compression is around 100 on all cylinders except #4, which is at 90. Apparently it's supposed to be at 175?

Any help??
Old 15 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Low compression?

If their next step is to replace the head gasket or the engine...take it to another shop.
soyomb and UptownSport like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 15 Apr 2015, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't seem they know what they are doing let alone a compression test. I'm with Lion.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Apr 2015, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

before i spen another penney id get a diffrent mech they cant tell plugs and a coil from the motor??? or a head gadgasket???? seriously

here are a few questions

Did you get it HOT--Overheated??
was the fans both working like they should??
do you have AC
do you have to add coolent often??
and I dont have the specs in frount of me but if ALL $ CYLENDERS are the same do you really think that alr all LOW ON COMPRESSION???
rob342 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 04:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

what does "VERY rough" mean? can you post a video? did it start after a major repair, like a timing belt?

dont worry about the compression numbers they gave you. they likely aren't doing it right anyways. they should do it with the motor at operating temperature and the throttle body open. i'd guess the numbers are low because they didnt have the throttle body open, and that #4 was a lower number because by the time they got to #4, the engine had cooled.

reading your post, you didn't take it to a mechanic. you took it to a parts changer. the difference here is a mechanic would EASILY know if a coil was bad without replacing it, a mechanic wouldn't think a measly 10psi difference in compression meant something was terrible wrong, and a mechanic would test parts before making you buy new ones.

you need to tell us when the problem started, what you've had done to the car before and after it started, and if possible, post a video showing the rough idle.

be sure to let us know about any other info you have, like did it get worse after the coil or plug replacement.

please let us know your mechanical skills, the common cause of your problem is a leaky intake gasket. idiots changing parts can mess the gaskets(or your intake) up pretty easily. they took it off to do the plugs, coil, etc. you can check it with starting fluid to see if it revs up if when you spray it if you're knowledgeable enough to do an oil change. if not you might spray too much and cause a nice fire. so please let us know your mechanical skills. as Cruiserdad1976 said above, a bad cooling fan will also cause a rough idle.

also, please add your location to your profile.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 15 Apr 2015 at 04:23 pm.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had completely forgotten about this thread, so I'll give an update, for as much as I can remember.

Spark plugs were incorrectly gapped. Got a tune up.
My motor mounts were wrecked (found that out myself, not a single mechanic noticed it)
Changed both of my 02 sensors.
And (recently) had a leak in my solenoid pack, so got that replaced.

The outcome of all of this, no check engine light!

Now, this was all done over the course of the past year or 2, so, it was a long struggle, but I made it.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 04:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

that's funny. i don't even remember writing my reply. thanks for coming back to update us
Fk5 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 05:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by devindinapoli View Post
Spark plugs were incorrectly gapped. Got a tune up.
Plug gap is 0.050 " , the plugs would need to be closer to 0.250 " to cause a problem. There may have been other issues covered during the tune up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devindinapoli View Post
My motor mounts were wrecked (found that out myself, not a single mechanic noticed it)
Or saw and wasn't going to tell the car owner.

A: Car comes in for an engine light on, shop sees bad motor mount tells car owner. Car owner says " You are just trying to sell me parts. " then storms off to bad mouth shop."

Or

B: Car comes in for an engine light on, shop concentrates on check engine light. Shop may or may not see bad motor mount and does not tell car owner. Car owner later says " Why didn't they see the bad motor mount?"

If the car owner isn't a regular to the shop, there isn't a way to tell if A or B will play out so the safest bet is B even though both choices are a loser for the shop.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 05:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post

A: Car comes in for an engine light on, shop sees bad motor mount tells car owner. Car owner says " You are just trying to sell me parts. " then storms off to bad mouth shop."

Or

B: Car comes in for an engine light on, shop concentrates on check engine light. Shop may or may not see bad motor mount and does not tell car owner. Car owner later says " Why didn't they see the bad motor mount?"

If the car owner isn't a regular to the shop, there isn't a way to tell if A or B will play out so the safest bet is B even though both choices are a loser for the shop.
Seriously?

Could the shop have told him that his motor mounts looked bad and given him a price if they wanted them to change them out? They could let him know that it isn't going to change the problem that he came in for and that there is no reason to drop new motor mounts today if he is going to need a replacement engine (low compression) tomorrow. The shop I go to often gives me lists of things that have to be done and things that should be done. They don't start any work without my approval. Not sure how that hurts the shop. It shows they are attentive without demanding work.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Plug gap is 0.050 " , the plugs would need to be closer to 0.250 " to cause a problem. There may have been other issues covered during the tune up.

Or

I should have included this to clarify. But, when I initially took my car in to get looked at, I ALSO mentioned that the idle was rough, and would rock/shake my car up quite a bit. Ever since I changed the motor mounts out, it's so much better. I was a regular to this shop, I was the "guy with the PT Bruiser". Not sure if they just overlooked it or what.

But hey, it's taken care of now. Only problems I have right now are:

1) Oil pressure switch replacement (Oil leaking, oil pressure light comes on at low rpm/when stopped, turns off when I'm driving)
and
2) ABS and TRACOFF lights came on. But they'll turn off after a while, and randomly come back on. Hoping a sensor?

Tags
compression, rough idle