Advertisements
Overheating also...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1AZPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2015, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating also...

I have read all the threads and tried almost everything. Hopefully starting my own will bring some much needed advice. I apologize in advance if any of this is thread redundant, but I'm not ready to blow up my PT quite yet.

My 2002 limited edition with 117,000 started overheating a week ago, always shut it down before it got too hot. I have since flushed the system, replaced the thermostat, the thermostat housing, the radiator cap, the water pump, and the timing belt. Also ran a combustion leak test and the fluid did not change colors. I burped the system and bled it via bleeder screw multiple times. Yesterday I removed the thermostat and ran the car. After ten mins it started to boil water out of the thermostat housing. I'm at a loss, head seems good as no leak detected, but I'm wondering if maybe the radiator flush wasn't enough. Should I replace the radiator? No oil in coolant or coolant in oil. I don't have white smoke. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. Jon
Old 15 Apr 2015, 10:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating also...

Does the fan come on when it is overheating? If it does come on is it on high speed? It will be quite loud at high speed. If the fan is working properly, use a temperature gun to ensure the radiator is hot across the top and getting uniformly cooler as you move down the rad side to side. If you have an obvious cold zone, then the rad is plugged up in that area and either needs to be unplugged somehow or replaced.

Start with the fan and go from there.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 10:20 pm
Young Cruiser

+1 on the fan. When I first bought my 01 cruiser, it would heat up at stoplights. I ended up getting educated on how the fan works on Cruisers. Turns out the ground wire (center wire in connector) melted and wasn't making a connection. I rewired it and it has worked fine since.
JoeX likes this.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

The fans are both working properly, also tested with a ground and direct 12v connection. High and low worked both in testing and automatically kicking on. I'm literally at a loss as the only two things it could be are head gasket which isn't showing signs or the radiator. I will do temp gun tomorrow and post results. Thanks for insight, here we go again.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 05:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Its a real good possibility that the radiator is at least partially blocked. They are fairly inexpensive.

I got one for my PT GT convertible last summer for under $70.00. Incredibly cheap on eBay.

I've been to northwest Wisconsin twice with the car so its not like I've just been blipping around town with it since I replaced it but actually driving hundreds of miles with it, and have had no problems with overheating.

In my case replacing it was much less expensive that having it repaired locally, Their are only two shops in my area that do radiator repair these days and both of them gave me estimates over $100.00 just to flow test and possibly repair the thing.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 16 Apr 2015 at 05:46 am.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkrayser View Post
I have read all the threads and tried almost everything. Hopefully starting my own will bring some much needed advice. I apologize in advance if any of this is thread redundant, but I'm not ready to blow up my PT quite yet.

My 2002 limited edition with 117,000 started overheating a week ago, always shut it down before it got too hot. I have since flushed the system, replaced the thermostat, the thermostat housing, the radiator cap, the water pump, and the timing belt. Also ran a combustion leak test and the fluid did not change colors. I burped the system and bled it via bleeder screw multiple times. Yesterday I removed the thermostat and ran the car. After ten mins it started to boil water out of the thermostat housing. I'm at a loss, head seems good as no leak detected, but I'm wondering if maybe the radiator flush wasn't enough. Should I replace the radiator? No oil in coolant or coolant in oil. I don't have white smoke. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. Jon
How did you burp the coolant system?
Old 16 Apr 2015, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

By "burped" I used the old school method of removing the cap, using a spill free funnel, and running the engine for ten mins with the defroster on high heat. Eventually the bubbles stopped. Then also released any trapped air through the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing until fresh fluid ran continuously.