Intermittent Full Power Loss and Short Issue

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ScottyMF1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intermittent Full Power Loss and Short Issue

**Summary at the bottom****

About 5 months ago my wife's 2001 PT's timing belt snapped while I was driving. Before realizing it was the timing belt, I pulled the codes and saw that there was an issue with the cam sensor. I bought a new one and replaced the sensor. The car obviously did not start and I later found out that the timing belt had snapped. From there, I replaced the timing belt, alternator belt and the serpentine belt. Timed the car and triple checked that timing was spot on before I put everything back together.

The care drove fine for a couple of days, but began to have a random full power loss issue. It kind of feels like a really hard misfire, as if the engine loses all power and then regains it. Sometimes the car will full on stall and start right back up, other times it will want to die but come back in a few seconds, and other times it will all happen within about one second.

From there I pulled the codes and it was throwing a cam sensor code again. So, I figured maybe it was the autozone cam sensor and realizing that the oem cam sensor was never really bad, I re-installed the oem cam sensor.

This seemed to help but since the issue is random, it didn't occur again for a couple of days. Now it has been happening almost every day.

I will note that before any of this began, there was an issue with the driver's door lock. It works sometimes and does not work other times (sounds like a short to me).

I little while after this issue began, the cluster light behind the fuel level gauge went out. I tapped the cluster glass and it came back on. Short again? I think so.

TL;DR:

01 Pt with an intermittent stalling/ full power loss issue.

Issue is random
Sometimes it happens to feel like a hard miss and goes back to normal
Other times it happens for a few seconds
A few times it has full on stalled, but starts right back up
RPMs completely drop off on the tach when it happens for a few seconds
Timing belt snapped and was just replaced, timing is spot on
Driver door lock works sometimes and doesn't work other times
Fuel gauge cluster light goes on and off (with bumps/vibrations/ etc.)

Looking for any ideas of where the short could be located, if it could be multiple shorts, or if anybody has a full wiring diagram for an 01 PT Limited.

I am going to get a cigarette lighter voltmeter and see if there is a voltage drop when it occurs.

I have read sort of similar issues with a wire going to the alternator hanging down and rubbing on the halfshaft causing a short, but looking for all possible ideas.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 09:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent Full Power Loss and Short Issue

Different car and different make, but I had a 92 lumina with something similar. Turned out it was a bad ignition control module.

Have you tested the coil pack? Any fouled plugs? (just curious) Does the battery read a proper 14 volts when the engine is running?

Also check the crankshaft pos sensor. Had that go out on me and it also popped up cam sensor issues.

Last edited by Flash619; 17 Apr 2015 at 09:23 am.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 10:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check the ground going from the negative battery cable to under the drivers fender...a lot of users miss this...make sure it's clean & tight where it bolts to the inner fender.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Apr 2015, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the late response guys I have been a bit busy...and thank you for the quick input.

I am going to take a look at all that you guys have suggested as soon as I get a chance and I will let you know if anything looks odd or fixes the issue.

I am also thinking I may have pinched an O2 harness while changing the tbelt (jacking the engine up and down to allow for better access), just not sure that a short in an O2 harness would cause such an issue.

When then issue occurs, the rpm's drop to 0 and if I blip the throttle they jump around a little bit, but not as much as normal (until the issue goes away and the car is normal again).
Old 19 May 2015, 10:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Issue resolved!

The wires to the crank position sensor were pulling out of the connector. Replaced the connector and all is well...well aside from a couple other small wiring issues, but it runs well lol

Thanks for the help!