PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser cranks but won't start....

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2015, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser cranks but won't start....

Hey, everybody. So first off, let me apologize for what I'm sure seems like a hit-and-run type post since I "just joined" but I SWEAR I was a member on here last time my lady's car had problems and I learned about the key dance which helped me fix that problem, whatever it was...

Anyhow, she was driving her 2006 PT home and she said that it just died at a stop light. Didn't do anything atypical before it died. Sadly, typical includes the engine jumping a bit any time she turns the A/C on or if it's on while she's city-driving. Towed it to the house, no CEL but we key-danced anyways and it showed no codes and gave me the "done." Then I checked for spark with a cheapo Harbor Freight inline spark tester (I only checked the plug that is closest to the passenger side door before the thing broke) and there was no spark (verified beforehand that the tester was working using my car, and it lit up just fine).

Playing a hunch (or the odds, knowing how little she does to maintain her car, which is at 113,000 miles) and watching the sun set, I took the camshaft sensor off and had her try to start it while I watched the cam.... and no movement. Then I realized that I'm not even 100% sure about the causation of it all... Would the timing belt being broken cause the no spark condition? Or would the no spark condition, caused by some unknown thing make it so the cam doesn't move? Should I have tested more than one plug? What should I test in what order tomorrow?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. School teacher by day, tired guy by night.

Last edited by Skeletor916; 18 Apr 2015 at 12:48 am. Reason: Forgot to mention who she was...
Old 18 Apr 2015, 01:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser cranks but won't start....

has the timing belt ever been replaced? if the cam's not moving while cranking, especially at that mileage, the belt is probably toast. sorry for the bad news.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 01:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm guessing not. It's one of the things I've been warning her about since she hit 100k.

Assuming it's the belt... is there a simple way to verify before having it towed to a shop? That's a bit above my (free) pay grade.

And if it's not, what, if anything else should I check? Thanks for the quick response.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor916 View Post
I'm guessing not. It's one of the things I've been warning her about since she hit 100k.

Assuming it's the belt... is there a simple way to verify before having it towed to a shop? That's a bit above my (free) pay grade.

And if it's not, what, if anything else should I check? Thanks for the quick response.
I would suggest doing a compression check on one of the engine cylinders that is easy to get to if you are not sure the timing belt is broken.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Listen if the cam is not moving while the key is turning the motor over. It's broke. If the crank is turned by the starter the cams have to turn unless belt is broken. No spark will be a direct condition of the broken belt. Call around before towing for price and attitude about doing this. Some simply want to tell you motor is trashed and replace. But in your case not really any possibility of bent valves if you were just at the light. Water pump and maybe even motor mounts while your in there. May want to buy parts on line before you take it. Save a bunch of money.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 18 Apr 2015 at 10:12 am.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Easiest way to see if the belt is broken is to take off the Camshaft Position Sensor, have someone try and start the engine, look inside the hole where the sensor was and see if the Cam Magnet is turning. If not, the belt is probably gone.

Skeletor916 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Easiest way to see if the belt is broken is to take off the Camshaft Position Sensor, have someone try and start the engine, look inside the hole where the sensor was and see if the Cam Magnet is turning. If not, the belt is probably gone.

Quote:

Playing a hunch (or the odds, knowing how little she does to maintain her car, which is at 113,000 miles) and watching the sun set, I took the camshaft sensor off and had her try to start it while I watched the cam.... and no movement. Then I realized that I'm not even 100% sure about the causation of it all... Would the timing belt being broken cause the no spark condition? Or would the no spark condition, caused by some unknown thing make it so the cam doesn't move? Should I have tested more than one plug? What should I test in what order tomorrow?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. School teacher by day, tired guy by night.
CREWZIN
The first post already mentioned no cam movement.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Yes, in the bottom of the first post he did this. Not sure why the other responders didn't come out and say it. It's broke. Your post at least gives him a picture to confirm that's what he was doing or not.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Apr 2015, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
CREWZIN
The first post already mentioned no cam movement.

Wooops, missed that. Thanks. Guess that sort of proves the point about the belt.
Busted_PT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your right about that.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com