Advertisements
Need Help Fixing Horn

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALBERT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2015, 08:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need Help Fixing Horn

First of all, I already posted this thread but I posted it in the wrong discussion board. Just realized. This board is far more active and I'm hoping someone can help me!

My 2001 PT failed the WV state inspection today because the horn doesn't work. I found a few posts on this website that lists of what you have to do and I've messed with the steering wheel cover for almost 2 hours trying to get it off. I have been unsuccessful in removing the airbag cover (the part with the Chrysler logo) to replace the horn switch/pad. The horn itself still works because it still works when I lock the car with the key fob, so i am assuming it is something under that cover that needs replaced. (Note: A few days ago it was working but I would have to push pretty hard on the horn button for it to work and it was intermittent at best).

So if there is anyone out there that could provide detailed instructions (A video would seriously help me. I may even consider paying someone to post a clear video of how to remove the cover. It would really help me out.

The one reply I did get from the other thread was mentioning 3 holes that you would insert a bent nail/screwdriver in to release the cover but I cannot find the three holes on my 2001 PT.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need Help Fixing Horn

Read this. It should help:

How to: Aftermarket steering wheel
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Read this. It should help:

How to: Aftermarket steering wheel
Although the pictures are nice, that link didn't provide any instruction on how to get the steering wheel cover off. Everyone says that it doesn't take long to do so idk why it's so difficult for me. It's very frustrating when someone says it's rather easy and it keeps defeating my efforts.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not done this but this information might help you.

If you look in the 2001-2004 manual on page 478 it gives instructions in removing the airbag retaining pins.

Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I have not done this but this information might help you.

If you look in the 2001-2004 manual on page 478 it gives instructions in removing the airbag retaining pins.

Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual
So is it necessary to remove the airbag and airbag pins in order to remove the airbag cover?
Old 19 Apr 2015, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you look at page 392 on the 2001-2004 manual it says for horn switch removal it says on vehicles with airbags to look at drivers side airbag removal.

I would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum if you have not done it yet. Tell us about your PT Cruiser.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If you look at page 392 on the 2001-2004 manual it says for horn switch removal it says on vehicles with airbags to look at drivers side airbag removal.

I would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum if you have not done it yet. Tell us about your PT Cruiser.

I just posted an introduction
Old 19 Apr 2015, 03:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

In my 2002 Had intermittent horn and radio light problem it was a bad ground in the lower steering wheel column, Found information on fixing in the search section on this forum, Also I added a second horn and button for me its much faster to hit the button than to find the horn spot on the steering wheel, the horn fit good behind the upper grill. Anyway hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0446.jpg (93.7 KB, 18 views)