Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By soyomb
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2015, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Code P0481 Fan 2 Control Circuit.

This is basically a continuation of this New cam sensor cracked with a different question about the same car.

Previous owner wired radiator fan directly to the batter with a switch by driver's left leg. I know this is really terrible and I need to fix it. The thing is, I don't even know where to start and don't know why he did that instead of just fixing it. P0481 code comes up on OBD2 scanner. I would appreciate any pointers as to what it could be and what needs to be replaced. Please bare with me as this is the first car I am attempting to fix things myself.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Code P0481 Fan 2 Control Circuit.

From an older thread...

Problem with Code P0481

The previous owner wired the fan directly because it wasn't coming on and he was probably overheating. First you need to check all the fuses and relays connected to the operation of the fan. In the interior fuse block, check fuses: 7, 10 and 12. In the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment, you need to check fuses: 5 and 11 as well as the high and low speed radiator fan relays. Also check the electrical connection of the fan to the main harness. Last but not least, you need to verify that both speeds of the fan are working. That could possibly be why the first owner wired the fan directly to the battery. Does it come on with the switch to the high speed (very loud)? Possibly because the low speed burnt out (common problem) and the first owner didn't want to replace the whole fan unit.
moonman likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First thing I would suggest is that you follow the wire from the switch to the radiator fan and see where he connected the wire to the radiator fan. This is the first step and post what you find out.
LionPT and moonman like this.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For the life of me I could not find the interior fusebox. It is not to the left of the steering column, not behind the glove box, not anywhere underneath the steering column.

In the engine compartment it seems there are 2 fuses missing. #5 is fine. And #11 is supposed to be a 3 legged fuse, while there is only a 2-legged one installed.

I haven't checked the rest of wiring yet. It looks like the wire from the custom-installed switch is going somewhere to the bottom of the car, I assume this is where the fan connector is. I will have to jack it up to take a look.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 09:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

the 2006 - 2010 cruisers did not have a fusebox inside. only the one you see under the hood.
moonman likes this.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
the 2006 - 2010 cruisers did not have a fusebox inside. only the one you see under the hood.
Thanks, that explains it.
Old 22 Apr 2015, 06:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

You should find 2 fan relays on the left side of the radiator fan...1 is low speed the other is high speed.
Most likely the power is tapped on the right side of the fan down below the battery, this is where the fan plugs are. You'll have to get under the car to get to them.
moonman likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Apr 2015, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will take a look tomorrow. I have to work till dark and don't have a garage. Thanks again for all the help.

Offtopic: just yesterday got rid of some clunk/knock in the front end. Turns out previous owner or his mechanic did not tighten front left lug nuts. I am surprised the wheel didn't fall off while I drove that 200km on highway to my place after purchase.