PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New to this forum, help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2015, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New to this forum, help

I'm not sure where to post my question, I am trying to fix a 2001 cruiser my daughter bought two months ago.... seems it has a problem with the diagnostic port trying to read the fault codes from the computer...

It has 176,817 miles on it, she bought it from a used car dealer in the Winder Georgia area. It started to have a no start problem two weeks ago, no starter rotation, nothing, I was told the center dash anti theft light was on, I suspected the key was getting old. The next day, it started right up, ran ok for a day, then the same thing.

Took it to a dealer in Cleveland Ga, they said they could not get the diagnostic reader to connect to the computer........ 6 days of troubleshooting, and they gave up......... said a short or open from the DLC to the PCM.............. they started it up and parked it outside. When the daughter went to pick it up, it wouldn't start last night... this morning the dealer started it up, called her, and she drove it home where it is going to sit till I can get there and look at it... I am 900 miles north of them....

The salesman told her the computer was replaced not too long ago, but I don't know why it was replaced, and I cannot get in touch with him...

Has anyone heard of this before???? she only has one key.... damn it...I am probably going to drive down this week-end and swap cars with her... just don't know............

Tom
Old 22 Apr 2015, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New to this forum, help

From what I have read....

I would first pull the PCM and carefully examine the prongs for any that were damaged or bent during the PCM change.

The first order of business to to re-establish communication at the Diagnostic connector.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Apr 2015, 04:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out when I get my hands on the car. I tried to download the free 2001 manual off this site and it locked up the laptop. I'm stuck with the pad right now.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am no expert but I am sure i read that keys are quite specific to your PT. If the computer was replaced, was the key changed to match?

I dunno if they are even linked, but I know I was told if I lost my key only chrysler could give me a new one linked to my pt. Or is this all some kind of bull?

Hope you get the car sorted.

Old 06 May 2015, 05:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here's a update, sorry it took so long......after the 1800 mile round trip I was exhausted but still had to catch up on things back here at home....

It ended up being a faulty 'Ignition Switch Actuator'..... I installed a jumper from the battery to starter solenoid, to a momentary switch by the fuse panel then to ground.............. bam..........starts............

I had some help from Sal in Florida, he has a manual, and internet, which kept me from getting tunnel vision. I kept thinking it was connected to the security system, thanks again Sal.. my daughter doesn't have a computer, internet so I was stuck using the smart phone...

I still don't know why the dealer could not communicate with the computer, five days there, and $325 later they moved it outside........ my daughter went to pick it up just before closing Wednesday night and it wouldn't start again..........the next morning the dealer goes out and it starts right up, she drove it home and parked it....................that's when I packed my stuff and drove down..................900 miles, 14 1/2 hours later I arrive.............one hour nap and start playing with the car.......................

I did do the key on, off three times, and got a code reading..............told me that the battery had been disconnected..........duh.......yup I just did that while I was cleaning and checking for grounded wires..........I still have not tried my buddies scanner to see if I get a reading,, maybe this week-end..

Bottom line is the car is in Michigan and my daughter has a 2013 nissan to drive...............the car is in great shape foe 178000 miles..........being a Georgia car, no rust...............

I replaced the upper and lower motor mounts sunday, they were shot.......

thanks for all who responded........I will post some pics later..

RC
rockandroller likes this.
Old 06 May 2015, 05:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
Here's a update, sorry it took so long......after the 1800 mile round trip I was exhausted but still had to catch up on things back here at home....

It ended up being a faulty 'Ignition Switch Actuator'..... I installed a jumper from the battery to starter solenoid, to a momentary switch by the fuse panel then to ground.............. bam..........starts............

I had some help from Sal in Florida, he has a manual, and internet, which kept me from getting tunnel vision. I kept thinking it was connected to the security system, thanks again Sal.. my daughter doesn't have a computer, internet so I was stuck using the smart phone...

I still don't know why the dealer could not communicate with the computer, five days there, and $325 later they moved it outside........ my daughter went to pick it up just before closing Wednesday night and it wouldn't start again..........the next morning the dealer goes out and it starts right up, she drove it home and parked it....................that's when I packed my stuff and drove down..................900 miles, 14 1/2 hours later I arrive.............one hour nap and start playing with the car.......................

I did do the key on, off three times, and got a code reading..............told me that the battery had been disconnected..........duh.......yup I just did that while I was cleaning and checking for grounded wires..........I still have not tried my buddies scanner to see if I get a reading,, maybe this week-end..

Bottom line is the car is in Michigan and my daughter has a 2013 nissan to drive...............the car is in great shape foe 178000 miles..........being a Georgia car, no rust...............

I replaced the upper and lower motor mounts sunday, they were shot.......

thanks for all who responded........I will post some pics later..

RC
Glad to hear you got it back running! I'd go get a refund from the dealer, they are supposed to be the experts.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Glad to hear you got it back running! I'd go get a refund from the dealer, they are supposed to be the experts.
Another myth. I have never found that to be the case.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 May 2015, 09:26 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Another myth. I have never found that to be the case.
The operative word was "supposed" they certainly charge enough, and should have the diagnostic equipment or information to find this problem.
Old 07 May 2015, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just think the dealer should have known about the ignition actuator issue, and at least told me about it. One day on this forum and I found out about it..

I met the mechanics at the dealer when I went to rescue the car and they seemed like good people, and offered me any assistance they could provide to help me, including his personal cell phone number to access his maintenance manual on his computer....... I thought that was damn nice..........

I got too busy to stop by and tell him what I found, but I may call him and tell him....

I will try again to post some pictures of this one, I got a security notice last time, think it may have been tooooooooo large, i'm used to that.... I will even attach a pic of my other cars........

thanks again for the reply's, I know on other forums the reply's are far and few...... I have been busy with work and all the crap that didn't get done when I was on vacation to Georgia...

Tom

aka: rockcrusher
Old 07 May 2015, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Let's try some pics again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150426_081811 - Copy.jpg (101.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20150426_081911 - Copy.jpg (98.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20150503_160037 - Copy.jpg (98.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04634 - Copy.jpg (95.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0319 - Copy.jpg (92.2 KB, 16 views)