PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser on the Interstate

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2015, 09:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser on the Interstate

Having purchased my PT Cruiser about 10 days ago. I took my first longer road trip in it. I drove about 4 hours on the interstate and came back with a few surprises. Having owned a '03 Hyundai Elantra prior to my 01 PT, I couldn't help but to compare the two in terms of comfort performance and efficiency. Here is what I came away with:

Comfort: I prefer the driving position of the PT Cruiser, esp with the seat raised a bit. I makes me feel like I'm sitting a bit further off the ground and combined with the seats. Which make me feel like I'm sitting further upright with a better view around my car. In the Hyundai I felt more sunken down into the car. When it comes to suspension tuning between the two, they both supposedly have the sportier setups compared to the base models. The Hyundai was a GT model with a stiffer setup compared to the base Elantras and with my PT Cruiser being a limited edition is supposed to have a similar setup. The Hyundai rode better better hands down, the PT cruiser seemed to be bounce more over interstate bumps but it was never uncomfortable.

Performance/Efficiency: Going about 75-80 Mph on the West Virginia Turnpike with lots of hills, they both hovered right under 3,000 rpm when cruising. When they needed to kick down on an uphill section the PT ended up with the tachometer hovering around 4,500 rpm where the Hyundai was just under 4,000. This could have let to the next section and that would be MPG. After the trip I calculated the gas milage the PT had gotten and ended up with 28.8 mpg. Which after reading some of the other owners milage, I think that it rather good. But the Hyundai easily did 31 mpg on the same trip. Not a huge difference but a difference nonetheless.

I just wanted to share my experience with my first road trip with my new PT (new to me with 152k miles ) and hope you all enjoyed it.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser on the Interstate

All I can say is if you got 28 running in the 75-80 range on a NA Pt you my freind have a Keeper that is easily 8 mpg better than i ever do and my Pt is a 06 na and it lives on the interstate running in that same range it will get 21-maybe 21 on a good day

I actually like the ride it seems to be a nice heavy car that hugs the road but then my other Daily Driver is a pontiac Grand Am and it has that Wide stance so the PT is not going top compare to that and also the Pontiac has a 6 cylender and gets 32-34 every day but it goes through the wind a lot easier and has a ton more power

Still Loves my Pt

Good write up seems you have a keeper
Old 24 Apr 2015, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
All I can say is if you got 28 running in the 75-80 range on a NA Pt you my freind have a Keeper that is easily 8 mpg better than i ever do and my Pt is a 06 na and it lives on the interstate running in that same range it will get 21-maybe 21 on a good day

I actually like the ride it seems to be a nice heavy car that hugs the road but then my other Daily Driver is a pontiac Grand Am and it has that Wide stance so the PT is not going top compare to that and also the Pontiac has a 6 cylender and gets 32-34 every day but it goes through the wind a lot easier and has a ton more power

Still Loves my Pt

Good write up seems you have a keeper
That is one thing I forgot to mention, the PT is much more susceptible to cross winds and being pushed around by passing tractor trailers.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It was a nice tale!

But really...the comparison choice of vehicle to the PT??? like comparing apples to a hamburgers.

and the reported MPG driving a PT 75-80 MPH ......... didn't do well in math in school I would imagine?

The PT Cruiser starts to lose MPG as the bodies resistant to air speed above 63MPH drastically effects the MPG.

Most all different vehicles transmission have different final gear rations so comparing one to another is very hard to do. The final drive ratio will effect rpm VS vehicle speed between different vehicles. If one is to compare them then you must also find and calculate the variance difference in final drive ratio and make the adjustment for comparing.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Apr 2015 at 01:33 pm.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It was a nice tale!

But really...the comparison choice of vehicle to the PT??? like comparing apples to a hamburgers.

and the reported MPG driving a PT 75-80 MPH ......... didn't do well in math in school I would imagine?

The PT Cruiser starts to lose MPG as the bodies resistant to air speed above 63MPH drastically effects the MPG.

Most all different vehicles transmission have different final gear rations so comparing one to another is very hard to do. The final drive ratio will effect rpm VS vehicle speed between different vehicles. If one is to compare them then you must also find and calculate the variance difference in final drive ratio and make the adjustment for comparing.
But really...I compared the PT to the Hyundai Elantra because it was my last car. As far as me not being good at math, I am confused by that comment. I filled my tank before I left and then when I arrived back I filled it up again and divided the number of gallons by the miles I drove. I believe it was 185 miles and around 6.5 gallons of gas which equals about 28mpg. I wasn't making a direct comparison, I was just noting the difference between the two vehicles I've owned in my life. (I'm only 20). As far as final drive ratios goes, I wasn't going that deep into comparing the two cars. I was just noting my experience with my first road trip with my new PT and how it fared on the trip. Thats all.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It takes a couple of fill ups to get an average MPG you can not really do it the way you described and be accurate. There are way to many variables. Yo might look into how to check for MPG around the internet and learn more about the.
If you had not mentioned such a rare and unusual MPG you claimed your PT attain not to mention the MPH most of your other information would be entertaining.

I do understand a little better know from your latest response that you were comparing for you own personal values your old car with you newly acquired PT Cruiser.
thecabinguy likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Apr 2015, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
It takes a couple of fill ups to get an average MPG you can not really do it the way you described and be accurate. There are way to many variables. Yo might look into how to check for MPG around the internet and learn more about the.
If you had not mentioned such a rare and unusual MPG you claimed your PT attain not to mention the MPH most of your other information would be entertaining.

I do understand a little better know from your latest response that you were comparing for you own personal values your old car with you newly acquired PT Cruiser.
I am very aware that in order to get an average mpg for my car and my driving that it's going to take more than one highway only trip to tell me that. I was speaking only for that trip. I know once I start driving in the city again it's going to tank back down to 20 mpg. Thanks for the input.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 02:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hey, Lynn, I think I have mentioned this before in another long ago post, but that guy with his 28 mpg is totally believable to me. I have, on a trip just last year heading down Interstate 5 from the bay area to the LA area in my '05 auto. Touring NA twice I achieved 30 miles per gallon (no A/C used, however) and I made triple sure of my calculations. Granted, mostly flat interstate with the cruise set most of the time at 75 with just me in the car and only one piece of luggage. It is possible to achieve this in that I actually have several times over the years. For some odd reason, my '02 Limited auto. NA hasn't been able to come within 3 to 4 miles per gallon of the '05 even if driven the exact same way. I guess there can be subtle differences with the engine and its tuneup.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 24 Apr 2015, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PT Cruiser on the Interstate

I grew up in Summersville.
Back then all we had was Rte 19 and 119 headed north.
And, it was all winding, hilly roads. I still like to cross the center lines on windy roads, as a habit!
I can rememeber when we almost threw a party when they construced I-79 to Morganhole!
Back in "the day", it took me almost 5 hours to hitch hike to Morgantown to visit the eventual wiffie during the summer semesters.
Oh, the memories!

Saw some snow up you way on the weather map a couple of days ago.
Reminds me of the 14 inch wet snow record we had when I lived in Summersville. Best snow ever!!!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Apr 2015, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Hey, Lynn, I think I have mentioned this before in another long ago post, but that guy with his 28 mpg is totally believable to me. I have, on a trip just last year heading down Interstate 5 from the bay area to the LA area in my '05 auto. Touring NA twice I achieved 30 miles per gallon (no A/C used, however) and I made triple sure of my calculations. Granted, mostly flat interstate with the cruise set most of the time at 75 with just me in the car and only one piece of luggage. It is possible to achieve this in that I actually have several times over the years. For some odd reason, my '02 Limited auto. NA hasn't been able to come within 3 to 4 miles per gallon of the '05 even if driven the exact same way. I guess there can be subtle differences with the engine and its tuneup.
I had Noone else in the car and I didn't use the a/c either. Didn't mention that. I had cruise set at 75 for about 90 percent of the time.