Advertisements
Battery died.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2015, 09:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Battery died.

I had a fancy shmancy Exide Orbital Purple Haze 34XCD battery and it worked great for about 3 month. After that it just seemed subpar. It would sound draggy but always start. I had it for 3 years and the last year if I left it for 2 weeks it was dead.
I store my car for winter and I always take the battery out and sit it on my work bench.
This month I charged it the day before putting it in the car. The charger is electronic AGM charger and said the battery was charged. I put it in the car and click, click click.
That sucked.
Put it back on the charger and the battery was at 10 volts.....
You could watch the voltage drop on my hand volt meter.
I went to the local Canadian tire and picked up the best battery they had out of the 34 grouping. MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Flat Plate AGM. Modded my battery tray by cutting off the lip on one side because it just didnt fit by a 1/8th of an inch.
Now the car starts great.
Time will tell and see how this fancy battery works out. At least it has a 5 year replacement warranty.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery died.

I keep mt PT and Vette on Duracell float chargers because I don't use them very often now-a-days. They're kept at 11.8 volts and always ready to go. Been doing that for about 4 years now. PT has a BOSCH and Vette has an EXIDE battery. When I had my major back surgery and couldn't drive for 3 months both cars sat in the garage covered up but attached to the chargers. Were fresh and ready to go when I was.

buddyiramae likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Apr 2015 at 09:36 am.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 10:27 am
Senior Cruiser

At Canadian Tire they sell NOCO Genius chargers. I highly recommend them. I have the G7200 and I have used the "repair" mode on that charger many times to bring old batteries back from the dead. The Repair mode uses the built in computer to safely pulse higher voltage through the plates to melt the sulphate oxidation off of them and restore the life of the battery. I usually run 2 or 3 repair cycles on the battery and it is literally like new.

Note, I do not have a specialized tester to monitor the cells, but I have put all of my repaired batteries back into service in my cars where they remain and function today in Ottawa's -20 to -40 Celcius winters.

The G7200 goes on sale from time to time for $99 and it is worth every penny. If you repair just one battery, that charger will have paid for itself. As well, it has specialized charge modes for AGM batteries as well as regular lead acid.

Sorry if this seems like an Ad for Noco, but I am just sharing my experience.

Last edited by myckee; 28 Apr 2015 at 10:30 am.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

The charger I use is a CT-1200a. Its a Canadian tire eliminator one. Its my dads. I may invest in one for myself though.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oh I see. I just looked at the Canadian tire website and looked at the charger. Apparently it has a desulphate mode too, but the reviews are not the best. A number of people found that it will work if you continually unplug it and plug it back in after a few hours. But eventually it did work. lol Seems like a hassle to me, even if the end result is positive.

The Noco g7200 is a bit more user friendly. If you are trying to repair or even charge a super dead battery that will cause any conventional charger as well as the Noco, to error out, You can put it in "supply mode", to constantly feed current to the battery. After a while, the battery will have taken some juice and no longer error out when charging or repairing. Anyway all of this info is in the user manual of the Noco if you get one.

For me, I bought the charger instead of a new battery. One repair later and the charger had paid for itself. I have since used it on several batteries so I am ahead on it already.