Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2015, 07:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile Cut Grounding Wire behind Right Front Tire

Our horn went off w/o ceasing. The fixit guy at Autozone said it was the horn, not sure why, disconnected the horn after reaching thru some sort of internal wheelwell plastic, disconnecting the cover and unplugging the horn.

That left the reason why.

I figured the 4 post thing in the horn thread was the horn switch. I guess I need to replace it.

But, behind the right front wheel was a post with a cut wire connected to it he said. No other leads coming off of it. Anyone know what it is? What grounds behind the front right tire?
Old 30 Apr 2015, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cut Grounding Wire behind Right Front Tire

I would suggest taking a picture of it and posting it.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 10:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

I believe he is talking about the ground wire that attaches onto the strut. That ground wire is there to provide a ground for the wheel bearing. Without a ground, the wheel bearing will wear out faster.
Old 01 May 2015, 07:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I believe he is talking about the ground wire that attaches onto the strut. That ground wire is there to provide a ground for the wheel bearing. Without a ground, the wheel bearing will wear out faster.
Like the one in the pic below. Sorry "CREWZIN" borrowed this pic off the internet. It's the driver side but there is a similar wire on the passenger side.

Old 01 May 2015, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the thread that discusses ground wires on the PT...

ground wires from body to front struts?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2015, 06:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: Cut Grounding Wire behind Right Front Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
That is what it was. Thank you! I had two missing bolts for the car wheel, and this prolly added to the bearings and general tire wear.
Old 29 May 2015, 03:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: Cut Grounding Wire behind Right Front Tire

Okay, according to Lithia, the above pic shows the sensor wire for the ABS. We have not had any abs lights go off. Guy said it had to be a certain length, it has two wires inside.

But, my Haynes manual, on page 10-4, in illustration 2.4, shows the ground strap bolt to the left of the ABS Harness bolt, proving the above kind poster correct.

I want to find the correct gauge wire for that ground strap bolt. Connects with a flat strip of metal to a caplug rubber insert.

Any hints, answers?
Old 29 May 2015, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFields71 View Post

I want to find the correct gauge wire for that ground strap bolt. Connects with a flat strip of metal to a caplug rubber insert.

Any hints, answers?
There no correct length for the ground strap. Different gauge wires will work as it's only a ground. 6,8,10,12 gauge will all work. A decent hardware store will have different ends that you can solder to the wire for a good connection. If you still have the ground strap on yours that's cut, you could probably even solder the two cut ends together to make it whole again.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 May 2015 at 05:10 pm.
Old 29 May 2015, 08:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

The reason the ground wire to the strut breaks is its not flexible enough to withstand constant up and down motion. The strands are to thick.
If you replace it with factory or solder the pieces together the same thing will happen.
You will have better luck if you can use copper wire with more strands or a braided wire with the proper ends to attach it.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 May 2015, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
The reason the ground wire to the strut breaks is its not flexible enough to withstand constant up and down motion. The strands are to thick.
If you replace it with factory or solder the pieces together the same thing will happen.
You will have better luck if you can use copper wire with more strands or a braided wire with the proper ends to attach it.

Sorry Joe, I don't go along with your theory. Mine and most of the grounding wires have been on for a long, long time (mine 15 years) without breaking. I think most find their wires CUT, probably by the mechanic who's replacing the front struts or part of the suspension and too lazy to take them off, so "snip" goes the grounding wire.

Look at my picture. Plenty of wire for any kind of movement without stretching/breaking it.